LPM: perldoc perlerrors

ken.rietz at asbury.edu ken.rietz at asbury.edu
Mon Aug 28 13:49:50 CDT 2000

> On Sun, Aug 27, 2000 at 11:05:05PM -0400, Rich Bowen wrote:
> > Frank Price wrote:
> > >
> > > Ho LexPM,
> > >
> > > I'm tired of always forgetting the little details of
> error trapping.
> > > There doesn't seem to be any POD for it, so I'm gonna write one.
> > > Anyone want to join me?
> >
> > Hmm. I'm not even sure what you're talking about. But I'm one of the
> > strange folks that enjoys documentation. I'd be glad to help in some
> > way. What kind of error trapping are you talking about?
>
> Well, essentially all the various ways to make sure that your code
> functions as you want it to.  Now this was a very half-baked note I
> fired off, but what I had in mind is detailing things like:
>
>  - details of using die() and warn().

And don't forget eval() to trap errors.

>  - catching or ignoring signals.

This is OS-dependent, but it is most often used on Unix.

>  - throwing an error from within a module (back to the calling
>    module).
>  - Carp::

And Coy. I like haiku. :-)

>  - how system() returns 0 on success.

This is supposed to change in Perl 6, so don't get too into it.

> And whatever else.  Maybe this is documented well enough and I'm just
> not a good researcher, I don't know :-)

It seems that the perlfunc and perlvar man pages are as much as you will
find easily. You can also check out the docs for the Fatal module (included
with 5.6 at least). But there isn't much in one spot that I have found.

-- Ken