[kw-pm] Perl CGI Scripts cannot find modules in library

Tyler Slijboom tyler.slijboom at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 15:27:39 PST 2011

Hello everyone,

This is an Apache / Perl problem that I am having.

I am using a CPAN Module in my perl CGI application. It is
Spreadsheet::ParseExcel

I have installed the cpan module with tar.gz files.

I have installed the dependencies.

However, I did do so as a non-root user. The library that contains these
files is under a user folder, /home/user/lib

Now, I have successfully configured Apache2 on this box. The html directory
is /var/www/html and the cgi folder is /var/www/html/cgi-bin. I have
verified they work because all of the scripts in that folder that do not
require the special modules work in my firefox browser, ie. hello world,
data dumps, simple forms.

However, when I try to run the scripts that use "Spreadsheet::ParseExcel", I
get the error that the module cannot be found in @INC. However, I have a
"use lib" statement at the beginning of the script that adds the library.

The scripts can be run in PUTTY without problem. Only when running the
script from the browser am I getting the issue.

This web application was written on another box and works fine on that box.
Because I developped there of course.  I put Apache2 on my personal Ubuntu
machine, and installed the web application and modules here, and it works on
my local box.

Any insights on the issue?

Thank you all for your time!

--