[kw-pm] how to quickly list package dependencies based on needed modules?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Mon May 31 23:52:47 PDT 2010

  moving on to the next question -- i've downloaded and am building a
package whose Build.PL script clearly spells out its build and run
requirements:

my $builder = $class->new(
    module_name       => 'Publican',
    dist_name         => 'Publican',
    license           => 'perl',
    dist_author       => 'Jeff Fearn <jfearn at redhat.com>',
    dist_version_from => 'bin/publican',
    build_requires    => {
        'Devel::Cover'                    => 0,
        'Module::Build'                   => 0,
        'Test::Exception'                 => 0,
        'Test::More'                      => 0,
        ... snip ...
    },
    requires => {
        'Archive::Tar'                    => 0,
        'Archive::Zip'                    => 0,
        'Carp'                            => 0,
        ... snip ...
   }

  as it stands, when i first went to build this on my ubuntu 10.04
system, i tediously went through the cycle of trying to build, being
told what module was missing, identifying the corresponding package,
installing, rinse and repeat.

  is there an automated way to mapping perl modules to their
debian/ubuntu packages so that one could just, on the very first
build, have the build script say, "hey, you're missing all of these
modules, i know what packages they come from, would you like me to
install them?"

rday