[kw-pm] "programming perl (3rd ed)" still relevant?

fishbot eric at uc.org
Tue Jan 12 09:23:33 PST 2010

Perl 5.10 did add a number of language features, this is the
canonical resource:
http://search.cpan.org/~dapm/perl-5.10.1/pod/perl5100delta.pod

But I would say that PP3e is sufficiently up to date.  There is
nothing in there that would cause you to write obsolete code.
Read that and scan the modern deltas, and you are fine.

The 'modern perl' advocates might say that the big piece that you
are missing in PP3e isn't language intrinsics, but in things like
Moose and things of that elk.  See
http://www.modernperlbooks.com/ and you can make up your own
mind.

---- original message : 2010-01-12 10:20am : Robert P. J. Day ----