[kw-pm] jQuery / Perl question

Robert Pike roberthpike at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 30 12:29:24 PDT 2010

Hi all,
   I'm attempting to make an Ajax call to a perl application residing on my computer.
   One of the fields I'm adding onto the URL to send may have an ampersand in it. I want to encode any special characters to put onto the URL and then have those values be accessible within the perl application on the server. I'm using jQuery's serialize method to do the conversion and the value passed in (i.e. something&something) is being converted "properly" (i.e. something%26something).
   On the server, however, the value accepted looks like somethingsomething (disregarding the encoded & being passed). I'm creating a CGI object within the Perl script to handle the form data coming in.
   Can explain to me what needs to be done (using this technique) to accomplish the task of converting special characters at the client end to then pass successfully to the server? Or is there better way of accompishing the same task that you can suggest?
   Thanks in advance for any helpful advice / suggestions.

Rob