[kw-pm] Problems I had getting my audrino going

abez abez at abez.ca
Sat Mar 21 19:44:26 PDT 2009

I had various problems getting the audrino going, I was on 64bit ubuntu
which causes some problems as well. Also our audrinos have the ATMEGA328
chipset which means you need a AVR-GCC 4.3 or better just to support
this chipset.

Stuff that I remember that could be helpful (sorry for the quality this
is pretty spotty)

In arduino IDE I was getting errors:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x20
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x20

I then Selected the 328 board, unfortunately 8.04 doesn't support it
with the
avr-gcc :( and it gave me wacky errors.

So on Ubuntu 8.04 you need Java and the java RXTX stuff installed:
http://myy.helia.fi/~karte/arduino_editor_on_64_bit_ubuntu_gutsy.html
Change run.sh so it uses the ubuntu RXTX lib
BTW, I had to be in the build/linux directory before make.sh would work.

Then if you're on 8.04 you need to compile an avr-oriented GCC and libc,
follow
the instructions here or use their build script:

http://avrwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Building_AVR_GCC
Install AVR-Binutils AVR-GCC  AVR-Libc and AVR-UISP from src
Need to download full GCC to get g++, need to tell GCC during configure
that you want c++ as well.
UISP did not compile correctly I had to modify a makefil to ignore warnings.
Change AVR-UISP -Werror in src/Makefile to nothing, so it'll compile and
not barf on warnings.

abram