[kw-pm] Talk this Thursday: abez on "Harbinger: Making your desktop sing with the help of Perl"

Daniel R. Allen daniel at coder.com
Tue Mar 17 06:23:23 PDT 2009

Thursday the 19th 7:30pm, DC 3323 at the U of W campus
(http://kw.pm.org/wiki/index.cgi?FAQ for location details.)

If you bought an Arduino, please bring $44 to the meeting or email me
(daniel at coder.com) to make alternate arrangements (paypal/other). See
http://kw.pm.org/wiki/index.cgi?ArduinoHardwareHacking for more info.

---

Please join us on Thursday, March 19th, for a talk on making music with
perl.  A repost of Abez's abstract:

We use a variety of user interfaces during our day to day lives, but what
if software you were familiar with suddenly started to sing? Imagine
stealing events from your spreadsheets, your simulations, your office
tools, your editors, even your video-games. Could these events make music?
Could the delay and reload of a Quake 3 shotgun come out as gong sound?
Could the machine gun in Quake3 be converted into an piano roll? Could the
frantic scratching of the eraser in GIMP produce beats or the shudder of
crystal? With Perl, C, your favorite sound generator/player and your
exciting or mundane everyday software, you too can turn your office or
desktop environment into a noisemaker. I present to you Harbinger, a Perl
based musical event middle man. Harbinger is built to massage events
streamed from other applications into musical events for software such as
CSound, Pure-Data or hardware attached to your midi ports!

---

And sign up at http://kw.pm.org/wiki/index.cgi?PizzaList if you'd like
pizza.

See you Thursday!