[kw-pm] Last night's meeting

Raymond broadswd at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 09:04:07 PDT 2009

2009/6/19 Max <max at alleged.net>:
> John Macdonald wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 11:39:38AM -0400, John Macdonald wrote:
>>

>>> On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 11:29:20AM -0400, John Macdonald wrote:
>>>
>>> $ perl -e 'rand$.<1?$a=$_:1for<>;print$a' <alpha.html
>>>
>>> which is 29 chars.
>>>

>> And to fill out my original argument against "cheating", if the
>> size of command line switches other than -e is not counted in
>> the rating system, then the solution:
>>
>> $ perl -M'-warnings;rand$.<1?$a=$_:1for<>;print$a' -e '' <alpha.html
>>
>> is a solution with 0 chars.
>>

> I think the idea is that perl -e is free, anything else is counted.  (n, p,
> -M, etc.)
Grrr... replying to list. I wish gmail had that option.

Any of these are free.

 perl -e ''
 perl foo.pl
 foo.pl

In the case of the last the shebang line (but NOT its arguments) is
free. In general its also played no-modules except for any that are
implicitly loaded by core perl commands. Extra symbols given by
implicit loads aren't allowed without actually loading the module
explicitly. All sourced files are considered in the count except IO as
indicated in the challenge.

That's the generally accepted rules in brief I think.