[kw-pm] tonight's UW crypto talk cancelled

Daniel R. Allen daniel at coder.com
Thu Jul 17 12:07:08 PDT 2008

Oops, I meant to email the list about this earlier.
The crypto talk this evening was cancelled due to illness.

But come out next Thursday for our .pm meeting!

fishbot will talk on Threading in Perl: Synchronization Primatives, and
Building a Message Passing Architecture

The title is pompous, but this will be a very basic talk:

    * creating threads, locks, shared memory and so on in Perl
    * what can be built from the primitives (semaphores, critical
sections, etc.) I won't assume any familiarity with these concepts.
    * what has been build that you can just use from CPAN

And then I've been curious about the potential for building a simple
message passing framework around these resources - that is, restrict
communication and shared memory to a single abstraction of 'sending a
message'.

I'll be talking about some of the issues with both concurrent programming
in general, and Perl's notoriously flabby and fragile threads. I'm curious
if a message passing abstraction alleviates some of these issues, or is
like training a dog to sing: an interesting exercise, but your dog won't
suddenly start smelling like Avril."