[kw-pm] PDF Question

fishbot eric at uc.org
Fri Nov 17 09:38:01 PST 2006

>    I guess to build a little on the PDF presentation
> given by arguile last night I was wondering if anyone
> had any additonal information on inserting images into
> PDFs from scratch code (i.e. how to parse a JPEG to
> get only the contents needed, objects/references
> needed within the document structure, etc..,). I tried
> a few things but the final conclusion to all has been
> errors. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

The discussion last night piqued my interest too, and I
discovered this:

http://search.cpan.org/~bettelli/Image-MetaData-JPEG-0.15/lib/Image/MetaData/JPEG/Structures.pod

which is a quite thorough dissection of JPEG internals.

Image::MetaData::JPEG appears to allow you to open a JPEG from
file and fetch various segments.  I'm not clear on whether you
can extract the image segment this way.  It would let you examine
the structure, though, I think.

Again, this is just from searching around a bit, not experience.
Maybe useful, maybe not.  arguile said he had code, perhaps he'll
share what he is permitted to.

I suspect that if you posted what you'd done so far on perlmonks,
though, you'd probably get answers.

fishbot