[kw-pm] Perl Compiler

Eric Maki eric at uc.org
Tue May 2 18:46:22 PDT 2006

perlcc was more of a proof of concept, and I don't believe it is
being actively maintained or developed.  I can get it to work for
trivial examples, but not much more.

see: http://perlmonks.com/?node_id=465275 , for example

You might be able to get a simple script with no dependencies to
compile, but things quickly get gross.

If you want to 'compile' Perl, take a look at PAR:
http://search.cpan.org/~smueller/PAR-0.92/lib/PAR.pm

It creates a Perl archive... an executable with an interpreter
and all require modules bound and compressed.  The executables
are very large, naturally: your actual code is usually in the
minority of the total byteload.  Perl programs can always call
back into the interpreter with evals, so you always need an
interpreter.  The best you can really do is 'package' Perl.

Hope that is helpful,
fishbot

---- original message : 2006-05-02 1:22pm : Robert Pike ----

Anyone have any information, suggestions, etc.., on
using the perl compiler that normally comes with
standard versions of perl? thanks.

Rob