[kw-pm] test fish crossword test

Carr, Dave dc0955 at gates.com
Thu Aug 10 07:50:50 PDT 2006

>In fact, what you're asking for, is likely very very hard.  As far as I
>know, most puzzle designers start with a completely blank grid, and
start
>creating blacked out squares as added words impose restrictions on the
>layout.  If you start with a specific shape for the crossword, there's
>probably no easy way to know if you can in fact populate it with your
word
>list.

When they do it by hand yes, but there is already software that does it
starting from given layouts of blacked out squares. The word lists used
are large, like tweaked dictionary lists. With a large enough word list
and a reasonable layout I would think most grids could have many
possible fills.

>From what I have read so far the problem seems to be one of efficiency
and good backtracking, but much of the stuff is dated, what took hours
when the paper was written may take seconds today.

- Lloyd