[kw-pm] cool: postgres server-side perl scripting

Matt Sergeant matt at sergeant.org
Mon Nov 14 17:57:28 PST 2005

On 14 Nov 2005, at 17:11, Daniel R. Allen wrote:

> For those not on Toronto Perl Mongers list, somebody has pointed at the
> following article:
> http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/databases/2005/11/10/using-perl-in-
> postgresql.html
>
> ...which shows off some cool postgres features for server-side perl
> scripting, which include perl in triggers in version 8.0.
>
> Anybody around here use postgres?

We use it for a number of large scale projects, but never found a real
need for pl/perl. Sadly there is one horrible bug in Pg's stored
procedure language (at least there was last time I used it in anger -
back in 7.x days) that temp tables weren't temporary - they were
created once and cached sort of like a mod_perl version of temp tables.
I hope that's fixed in the 8.x series...

BTW: You can have perl functions in SQLite via DBD::SQLite too.