[kw-pm] Another Excel related question...

Daniel R. Allen daniel at coder.com
Wed Dec 14 13:52:36 PST 2005

Robert,

My guess at this point is that nobody on the kw.pm list has experience to
share on Perl interaction with Excel under Win32::OLE, since there haven't
been any responses to your posts.

The standard first recommendation (since your questions suggest you've
been going it alone until now) is to read the manpages and do a few web
searches.  For excample, I just googled for 'Win32::OLE excel'.  One link
that stands out as potentially useful is from PerlMonks, an excellent
resource for all Perl programmers, if you haven't visited that site
before.

"Using Win32::OLE and Excel - Tips and Tricks"
http://www.perlmonks.org/?node=153486

In a quick look, it seems they mention turning off warning dialogs, which
I believe was one of your questions.

If that doesn't satisfy fully, you might try locating an email list
specific to Win32::OLE, or perhaps a list for ActiveState or Cygwin Perl
(whichever kind of Perl you're using).

I'm not sure if part of the problem you're having is with wrapping your
head around Perl Object Oriented code?  That can be one of the early
stumbling-blocks for people familiar with other languages.  If so, I
recommend the book "Learning Perl Objects, References & Modules."  We have
a copy in our Lending Library, which you're welcome to borrow for a month.
Let me know, and I can bring it tomorrow evening.

Also, we're happy to answer questions about OO Perl- unfortunately, the
best I can do for your questions is to recommend other sources...

Hope that was marginally helpful,
-Daniel
--
http://coder.com/ - Prescient Code Solutions - (519) 575-3733 da at coder.com