[kw-pm] perl-driven blogs?

Eric - fishbot eric at uc.org
Mon Nov 1 17:50:03 CST 2004

> Just curious as to the availability of Perl-driven blog
> software.  It seems that PHP has won out in this area too.
> I am googling but wondering if anyone can short-circuit
> to a better result that I might not even find. :-/

Well... I haven't looked at it lately, but for a long time the
biggest name in blogging was MovableType (movabletype.org).
They've moved to a more commercial-looking licence lately, but
it's still available for download if you fill out a form.  It's a
pretty complete and only mildly bloated system.

Another perl big-name-in-blogs is LiveJournal, probably the most
popular of the "free" hosted blogs.  The server is available for
download: http://www.livejournal.com/code/

I think that the backend is documented here:
http://www.livejournal.com/doc/server/
though I've done minimal research.

I don't know what sort of licence that code is under.

Something a bit more basic might be GreyMatter.
http://www.noahgrey.com/greysoft/

I think that GreyMatter is no longer in active development, and
may be close to abandonware at this point.  It's a basic perl/CGI
system.  I think that it is a DB-less system.  That might be a
feature.

Eric