[kw-pm] why the hatred for PHP?

Greg.Fenton at ianywhere.com Greg.Fenton at ianywhere.com
Wed Jun 23 13:56:03 CDT 2004

PHP (as well as most RAD languages) gives quick gratification (i.e.
results).  This is a strength, but I would argue that it is an even
greater weakness.

As I mentioned, too often are people eager to get "results" without
properly planning.  As the system grows, it becomes harder and harder to
add functionality (osCommerce is a *fantastic* example of this).

It *tends* to be that the PHP advocates pump the "instant results" where
as the detractors push the lack of design in most PHP solutions.  Where
you stand typically depends on whether you are in the project for the
"long haul" or not.  With the right forethought and coding practices, heck
even Visual Basic can be a worthy tool.  But as in all things, it is a
"right tool for the job" situation...

If people think of Perl as "a dirty scripting language", they'll never
fully appreciate its incredible strength and flexibility (just take a look
at any of the stuff Damian showed off last week at YAPC...absolutely mind
blowing...sufficiently close to Magic!)

If people think of PHP as a "poor Perl", then they likely aren't looking
at "just get a website up" type projects. (However, to those people's
defense, they may understand the principle that every line of code written
must be supported for 50+ years...which it must).

greg.fenton
----
Greg Fenton
Consultant, Solution Services