[kw-pm] why the hatred for PHP?

Greg.Fenton at ianywhere.com Greg.Fenton at ianywhere.com
Wed Jun 23 13:08:09 CDT 2004

PHP is "hated" because it is improperly used.  It is improperly used
because it is easy to get started with ... and quickly becomes difficult
to reorganize.

One should not put large amounts of code into web pages.  This leads to
copy-n-paste coding, which is the exact opposite of Code Reuse.  Take a
look at most PHP open source projects and you'll see that they are
struggling to *remove* PHP from their pages.  If PHP in pages is such a
good idea...why does Smarty exist??  A templating system for a template
language???

I'm not saying that there isn't good PHP...but just like Visual Basic, it
is easy to get started, but often improperly used.  Basically, it comes
down to people starting on a project before they've figured out what they
are trying to do.  By the time they get an idea, they already have dozens
(hundreds?) of pages which HTML and PHP intertwined and they aren't
willing (unable?) to rework the code to clean it up....this leads to
non-internationalized, non-browser-agnostic, invent-the-wheel-each-time
websites.

Not to say that Perl (or any other language) can't be similarily
abused...but PHP has way too many examples of how *not* to write PHP that
its hard to get newbies to learn the right way to write PHP...thus PHP is
"hated".

Don't get me wrong, I use PHP in a number of scenarios...but always have
to cringe when it comes to string manipulation  ;-)

greg.fenton
----
Greg Fenton
Consultant, Solution Services