[kw-pm] weather

simon-kwpm at uc.org simon-kwpm at uc.org
Wed Jun 23 09:34:40 CDT 2004

I fall in that weather boat too, ever since I had this cool idea...

At some point as a child, my father suggested that a better way to
forecast the weather would be to use small cell-based measurements --
each cell could communicate with it's neighbour cells, and make it's
predictions. As time passed, the cells could use history, rather than
fancy mathematical models to predict the weather.

When he'd asked someone in the business about his idea, they'd said that
yes, it was a very good idea -- but that they'd already invested millions
in weather satellites and couldn't switch now. I wonder what the case is
these days...

While I was living in waterloo, way back in the year 2000, I wrote an
extension to UCD SNMP (now net-snmp) for World Without Wire to allow it
to get the signal/noise ratios from wireless cards. Well, these devices
were being put on towers all over southern ontario, and had heaps of
extra computing power.

I was like "OMG, this is the PERFECT platform for environment conditions
monitoring!!!" You would be able to poll the towers for their current
weather conditions and their forecasts -- temperature, humidity, light
levels, wind speed and direction, maybe even UV, greenhouse gasses. It
would be fantastic.

Alas, they didn't see a market for the data...

But it would be a dream come true to implement this.

Does anyone else think this would be a fantastic idea? Would Environment
Canada, or any other organizations be interested in buying the data?

Anyone written a business plan before? I know people that would fund a
good plan...

re,
Simon