[kw-pm] is perl 6 really that different?

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-pm at benshaw.com
Tue Jul 8 15:21:53 CDT 2003

> > I don't have the book, but that's one of perl6 changes- arrays and
> > hashes retain their sigil when they're sliced/diced.

> holy crap.  so perl 6 is not even remotely backward compatible?
> apparently, i have some serious reading to do.  thanks.

You can do that today, you just get a warning:

$ perl -wTe '@ary = ("Zaphod", "Ford", "Trillian"); $second_element =
@ary[1];'
Scalar value @ary[1] better written as $ary[1] at -e line 1.
Name "main::second_element" used only once: possible typo at -e line 1.

$ perl --version
This is perl, v5.8.0 built for i386-linux

So perhaps not backward-compatible but Perl somehow manages to be
forward-compatible.  :-)

Regards,
Andrew