[kw-pm] YAPC 2003 call for participation, and YAPC::NA::Canada

Daniel R. Allen da at coder.com
Thu Jan 9 22:24:04 CST 2003

YAPC (Yet Another Perl Conference) this year will be in Boca Raton,
Florida.  June 16-18 or so.  The first call for participation has gone
out:

http://www.yapc.org/America/

A few months ago, I announced that YAPC would be in Ottawa.  Due to some
scheduling problems, that was not possible...  However, there is an
alternative.  Jay Lawrence of Ottawa.pm is planning for a smaller (50-100
person) YAPC::NA::Canada, to be held in Ottawa in the middle of May.

Unlike YAPC, which is three full days, it will be a 1 1/2 day conference.
It will also have 2-3 simultaneous talks, rather than the four tracks at
YAPC.

Like YAPC, costs will be kept low; housing will be available in Carleton
dorms (for something like $15/night).

His plan is to use it as a logistical "dry run" for next year's YAPC bid,
so things will run more smoothly then.  Every YAPC for the last three has
caused the organizers to be completely burned out by the end.  He wants to
do one of these, the right way... and write down what to do, so people can
replicate the success in the future.

I'm helping the planning, because, hey- I've never planned a conference
before and therefore am to dumb to know when to run the other way.

Maybe if there's time at the end of our meeting we can chat about YAPC and
whether people are interested in a road-trip (or perhaps train-trip?) to
Ottawa in May...

-Daniel

http://kw.pm.org/ - Kitchener-Waterloo Perlmongers -          da at kw.pm.org
http://coder.com/ - Prescient Code Solutions - (519) 575-3733 da at coder.com