[kw-pm] seeking a location

Daniel R. Allen daniel at coder.com
Mon Sep 30 19:53:32 CDT 2002

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, Simon Law wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 05:09:19PM -0400, Daniel R. Allen wrote:
> > Here's a toy script which uses the CS club at the U of W as an
> > example.  It reads their (well-formed) events page and turns it into
> > either a text file or RSS file (news feed format).
>
> 	Uhm, the reason why this is so is because the events page is
> generated from XML.  http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/events.xml.

That figures.  Nice XML then.

> > Do you think publishing an integrated list of upcoming techie meetings
> > would be useful?
>
> 	As long as it is maintained, yes.  Be forewarned that this will
> takes _years_ off your life, and almost nobody will appreciate or thank
> you for it.

Well, it is certainly true that none of the other calendars had HTML that
looked as good as the CS club's.  I don't think it's overall distressing
enough to take years off my life though.  If the HTML is malformed, we
drop back to just listing the unconfirmed usual monthly date for that
group, or delete the entry completely.

I think it might be neat to have a slashbox for "KW tech meetings"... And
perhaps if it's in one place, we can get some of the other sources to
syndicate it as well.  But I don't terribly care either way; I have
monthly meetings listed in my Palm.  If anybody thinks they'd actually use
it, drop me an email and I'll keep playing with it.  Otherwise I'll stick
with my other rss project...

-Daniel