[KPUG] Oddities with VM setup

Jon halfbrown at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 23:34:16 PDT 2012

Lady (Ladies?) & Gentlemen,

I've run into an odd snag on the VM install for my lovely MacBook Pro, so I
thought I'd post to the group to see if anyone has any help because my
Google-Fu is sending me around in circles.

I got all the way to Section E, "Establish a non-console/SSH connection to
the local host-only address" and finally hit said snag. I cracked open SSH,
typed in:

ssh ­p 22 ­v jon at 192.168.56.2

And received the following error:

ssh: connect to host 192.168.56.2 port 22: Connection timed out

This got me thinking. Dangerous, yes, but thinking nonetheless. :)

During Section D, "Debian setup", I ran into a previous snag. Several times
I kept getting a problem wherein I would receive the error message:

Failed to bring up eth1.

Oddly enough the way I (accidentally) got around that was through a bug I
typed into /etc/network/interfaces detailing the auto eth1 and then face
eth2 (et c). Nothing alerted me to this until later on in the process when I
began debugging my "odd snag" I initially mentioned. AnyhooŠ  I figured
something had to be right since I did all of the apt updates between Section
D and Section E, so obviously I had networking out to the inter-tubes.
Admittedly, while I'm pretty good with code, hardware has been a mystery to
me since circa 1996. And even then, not so much.

So I've been mucking around Google trying to see what's up, heading to
virtualbox.org to do the same, and all that jazz. But I'm stumped and was
hoping someone could at least point me in the right direction.

As such, I have a few ideas for where things could have gone wrong, and I
thought I'd share.
* When working on the VirtualBlox Manager, under Network, I only have one
option, and that's for Adapter 1. I selected Bridged Adapter, the Name is
en0: Wi-Fi (Airport), which was the default, and the only other options I
have are for Promiscuous Mode (scandalous!), the Mac Address, and a checkbox
for "Cable connected". Pretty sure I didn't touch any of those, so I'm
feeling good about those. However, in the VM setup instructions under
B.5.d.ii, I couldn't set a virtual adapter because I have no
option/availability to do so. All of the non-used Adapters listed (2-4) are
grayed out and cannot be selected. I presume that's by design via the
VirtualBox software or my hardware, so I just skipped it.
* Section D.3, that's where I'm guessing the real issue is. AFAICT I only
have 1 Adapter (see my notes above RE: B.5.d.ii), and I keep getting a "hey
you can't run 2 auto loads of eth0" error if I don't use eth1, so my
thinking is/was I'd have a /etc/network/interfaces file that looks like
this:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet static
address 192.168.56.2
gateway 192.168.56.1
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.56.0
broadcast 192.168.56.255

Yes, that's actually what's in my /etc/network/interfaces file right now.
It's that last section I'm really wondering about, and hoping that someone
can verify yes/no on if I did that correctly. Yes, I did the restart, yes I
tried the ifdown's, etc. Mostly I keep getting messages saying it doesn't
recognize eth1.

I'm guessing that since I had apt/etc. working already, once I get past this
issue the rest will be a breeze. That's what I'm hoping for, at least.

Oh! And one more thingŠ Section E starts off with "Establish a
non-console/SSH connection to the local host-only address". Well, the
console is my favorite SSH client. :) Is there some funky issue where if I'm
attempting to SSH (and assuming this whole time that I should be SSHing via
the VM CLI), that that is the problem? Or at least a problem?

Jon