[Kochi-pm] [Perlweekly] #192 - The YAPC::NA schedule is out!

Gabor Szabo gabor at szabgab.com
Sun Mar 29 22:44:01 PDT 2015

Perl Weekly

http://perlweekly.com/

You can read the newsletter on the web, if you prefer.
http://perlweekly.com/archive/192.html

Hi,

The schedule for YAPC::NA is out and there are tons for good-looking talks!

Talking of talks, today's your last chance to submit something for the
German Perl workshop.

Editor #3, Neil

There are also going to be additional training classes at YAPC::NA
("http://www.yapcna.org/yn2015/masters.html"). See more info below.
~szabgab

Sponsors

  Perl Developer - Teleperformance - Grandview Heights, Ohio (Columbus)
  http://perlmaven.com/jobs/42320

  Teleperformance is looking for talented Perl developers who are eager to
  join our team (10 developers).  We are a close-knit development group who
  live and breathe Perl and the open source philosophy.  We are located in
  Grandview Heights, Ohio, with easy access to the downtown area.
  --------------

  InsideSales.com - Pass our "Perl Challenge" & Win a $100 Amazon Gift Card
  http://betago.is.com/dl.aspx?cid=5669&pv_url=https://github.com/jjhart/insidesales_challenge?5669_rm_id=100.6473429.7

  Our yummy Perl codebase handles millions of emails in production each week!
  We're growing like crazy, doubling in revenue and size annually. We want
  you to join our team in Utah. Pass our "Perl Challenge" to win a $100
  Amazon gift card and an interview. Hires will receive a sizable signing
  bonus.
  --------------

  Work for Uniregistry, building and maintaining Internet new Top Level Domains
  http://uniregistry.link/careers

  Use Moose, DBIx::Class, Catalyst, AnyEvent and work in an dream office in
  Newport Beach office in California to  build and maintain our registry
  platform and services for Internet new Top Level Domains (nTLDs). Send
  your CV to jobs at uniregistry.link
  --------------

=============

CPAN News

  File::Which, pwhich and App::pwhich
  http://blogs.perl.org/users/graham_ollis/2015/03/filewhich-pwhich-and-apppwhich.html

  Graham has recently adopted File::Which
  ("https://metacpan.org/pod/File::Which") and posted about his plans for
  the module, in particular splitting out the <code>pwhich</code> script
  into a separate distribution, to minimise the dependencies for the main
  module.
  --------------

  Nestoria's module of the month: Web::Query
  http://devblog.nestoria.com/post/114483837118/module-of-the-month-march-2015-web-query

  This month Nestoria tip their hat to Web::Query
  ("https://metacpan.org/pod/Web::Query"), a module for processing a web
  page in a jQuery ("https://jquery.org") stylee. Originally written by
  TOKUHIROM ("https://metacpan.org/author/TOKUHIROM"), but currently
  maintained by YANICK ("https://metacpan.org/author/YANICK").
  --------------

  NICEPERL's lists
  http://niceperl.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/xxi-cpan-great-modules-released-last.html

  Miguel Prz (NICEPERL ("https://metacpan.org/author/NICEPERL"))'s regular
  lists: Great modules released last week
  ("http://niceperl.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/xxi-cpan-great-modules-released-
  last.html"); MetaCPAN weekly report
  ("http://niceperl.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/cliii-metacpan-weekly-report-tic
  kit.html"); StackOverflow Perl report
  ("http://niceperl.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/clxxviii-stackoverflow-perl-repo
  rt.html").
  --------------

  Calculate Fortune's Formula with Perl
  http://perltricks.com/article/161/2015/3/23/Calculate-Fortune-s-Formula-with-Perl

  David introduces the Kelly criterion
  ("https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelly_criterion"), a formula used to
  calculate what percentage of your bank you should stake. He's released
  Algorithm::Kelly ("https://metacpan.org/pod/Algorithm::Kelly") to Kelly,
  if you're interested. The Kelly criterion is widely used by betting types
  (my missus and I used the Kelly criterion in the horse-betting system we
  ran a few years back. Not that we're betting types. Any more).
  --------------

  New stable and development Catalyst releases
  http://jjnapiorkowski.typepad.com/modern-perl/2015/03/new-stable-and-development-releases-of-perl-catalyst-on-cpan.html#.VRh2TEKXFgI

  John describes what's in the latest Catalyst
  ("https://metacpan.org/pod/Catalyst") releases. The dev release is
  codenamed Australorp ("http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australorp"), named
  after an Australian chicken breed!
  --------------

=============

Hacking and blogging

  CA SSL HTTPs heck
  http://blogs.perl.org/users/byterock/2015/03/ca-ssl-https-heck.html

  Getting to the bottom of a problem with Amazon AWS. TL;DR: make sure
  Mozilla::CA ("https://metacpan.org/pod/Mozilla::CA") is up to date.
  --------------

  Three articles on Modern Perl web apps
  http://perlhacks.com/2015/03/modern-perl-articles/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+PerlHacks+%28Perl+Hacks%29

  Dave has shared three articles that he wrote in 2011, about writing a
  Modern Perl web app using DBIx::Class
  ("https://metacpan.org/pod/DBIx::Class") and Dancer
  ("https://metacpan.org/pod/Dancer").
  --------------

  Faster DBIC Schemata
  https://blog.afoolishmanifesto.com/posts/faster-dbic-schemata/

  Frew shares some tips on how to get DBIC schema to load faster.
  --------------

  Gzipping data directly from Perl
  http://perltricks.com/article/162/2015/3/27/Gzipping-data-directly-from-Perl

  brian shares some of the ways you can work with gzip'd data in Perl, for
  example via the recently updated PerlIO::gzip
  ("https://metacpan.org/pod/PerlIO::gzip"), or using pipes.
  --------------

  Interacting with PAUSE using CLI
  https://perlancar.wordpress.com/2015/03/25/interacting-with-pause-using-cli/

  Perlancar demonstrates his WWW::PAUSE::Simple
  ("https://metacpan.org/pod/WWW::PAUSE::Simple") module and associated
  <code>pause</code> script, which can be used to manage your PAUSE account
  from the command-line.
  --------------

=============

Testing

  Howto: XS Coverage Reports on coveralls.io
  http://blogs.perl.org/users/nick_wellnhofer/2015/03/howto-xs-coverage-reports-on-coveralls.html

  Nick shows how authors of XS modules can get Devel::Cover
  ("https://metacpan.org/pod/Devel::Cover") and coveralls.io
  ("https://coveralls.io") to play together nicely with Travis.
  --------------

=============

Training

  YAPC::NA Master classes
  http://www.yapcna.org/yn2015/masters.html

  There are going to be several 'Master classes' on the day before YAPC::NA,
  and the 2 days after. 4 of the classes have been already published, 2 are
  still somewhere in the pipe, but if you attend YAPC::NA and want to
  attend any of the courses, you might want to plan your travel
  accordingly. ~szabgab (one of the trainers)
  --------------

=============

Community

  Rebuilding Cleveland Perl Mongers
  http://blogs.perl.org/users/styluseater/2015/03/rebuilding-cleveland-perl-mongers.html

  The Cleveland Perl mongers have risen from the ashes like a Phoenix;
  StylusEater shared some of their journey.
  --------------

=============

Events

  YAPC::NA schedule
  http://www.yapcna.org/yn2015/schedule

  GENEHACK ("https://metacpan.org/author/GENEHACK") tweeted to announce that
  the schedule for YAPC::NA 2015 ("http://www.yapcna.org/yn2015/") has been
  posted.
  --------------

  German Perl Workshop 2015: CFP extended until March 30th 2015
  http://blogs.perl.org/users/max_maischein/2015/03/german-perl-workshop-2015-call-for-papers-extended-until-march-30th-2015.html

  The German Perl workshop runs from the 6th to the 8th of May. If you're
  quick, you can still submit a talk proposal.
  --------------

  Sydney.PM April meeting
  http://blogs.perl.org/users/dean/2015/03/sydney-pm-april-2015.html

  The Sydney mongers are meeting 14th April, and looking for speakers.
  --------------

  Promoting your Perl workshop or conference?
  http://blogs.perl.org/users/gabor_szabo/2015/03/promoting-your-perl-workshop-or-conference.html

  Gabor has put together a page with some tips for promoting your Perl event.
  --------------

=============

Perl 6

  Perl 6 weekly happenings
  https://p6weekly.wordpress.com/2015/03/24/2015-12-a-release-also-lazy-deserialization-makes-a-comeback/

  Lazy deserialization of objects has been re-enabled in MoarVM, which should
  give "much better memory usage and speed when starting up a program that
  doesn't use every class there is". Also a rakudo release, some
  documentation improvements, and a bunch of other things too!
  --------------

=============

Not Perl, but may be of interest

  A public service announcement about contracts
  http://blog.plover.com/law/contracts.html

  Some excellent advice from Mark, about the right response when someone asks
  you to sign a contract with a clause that's only there because the
  lawyers wanted it. He followed it up with some examples
  ("http://blog.plover.com/law/contracts-2.html").
  --------------

  Ruby survey results
  http://www.askr.me/ruby

  A survey of Ruby developers, which has been running since 2008. I like that
  for many questions it shows how the answers have changed over the years.
  TL;DR: vim is the most popular way to edit Ruby.
  --------------

  The social coding contract
  http://blog.testdouble.com/posts/2014-12-02-the-social-coding-contract.html

  A talk from RubyConf last year, with lots of interesting observations of
  open source. I feel like I need to watch it again before I can distil it
  down any!
  --------------

=============

Perl Maven Tutorials

  Sending Tweets from a Perl script
  http://perlmaven.com/sending-tweets-from-a-perl-script

  In this article full of screenshots you'll see how to write a Perl script
  to send messages via Twitter.
  --------------

  Getting started - Create skeleton for the SCO clone application
  http://perlmaven.com/create-skeleton-for-sco

  A screencast in which Gabor shows the first step in creating a clone of the
  search.cpan.org web site using PSGI and MetaCPAN as the back-end.
  --------------

  Counter Examples
  http://perlmaven.com/counter

  The beginning of a series of articles showing how to write a counter with
  various front-ends (e.g. command line, web) and various back-ends (plain
  text file, MongoDB, etc.)
  --------------

  qw - quote word
  http://perlmaven.com/qw-quote-word

  --------------

=============

You joined the Perl Weekly to get weekly e-mails about the Perl programming language and related topics.

Want to see more? See the archives ( http://perlweekly.com/archive/ ) of all the issues.

Reading this as a non-subscriber? Join us free of charge. http://perlweekly.com/

(C) Copyright Gabor Szabo http://szabgab.com/
The articles are copyright the respective authors.

You can freely redistribute this message if
you keep the whole message intact, including
the Copyright notice and this text.

If you don't want to receive mails any more
you can unsubscribe here: http://perlweekly.com/unsubscribe.html