[Kochi-pm] [Perlweekly] #190 - It's All About Numbers

Gabor Szabo gabor at szabgab.com
Sun Mar 15 23:59:29 PDT 2015

Perl Weekly

http://perlweekly.com/

You can read the newsletter on the web, if you prefer.
http://perlweekly.com/archive/190.html

 Numbers, numbers, everything revolve around numbers. Last week not only
had a Friday the 13th, but also saw the celebrations of Pi Day (which
mostly revolve around making math jokes and eating pies). This edition of
the PW doesn't lack in numerals either: amongst other things, Rex turns 1,
Neil hangs 10 (places most likely to host your module repository) and Timm
has fun with GPS coordinates.  Enjoy! ~ `/anick

Sponsors

  Work for Uniregistry, building and maintaining Internet new Top Level Domains
  http://uniregistry.link/careers

  Use Moose, DBIx::Class, Catalyst, AnyEvent and work in an dream office in
  Newport Beach office in California to  build and maintain our registry
  platform and services for Internet new Top Level Domains (nTLDs). Send
  your CV to jobs at uniregistry.link
  --------------

  InsideSales.com - Pass our "Perl Challenge" & Win a $100 Amazon Gift Card
  http://betago.is.com/dl.aspx?cid=5669&pv_url=https://github.com/jjhart/insidesales_challenge?5669_rm_id=100.6473429.7

  Our yummy Perl codebase handles millions of emails in production each week!
  We're growing like crazy, doubling in revenue and size annually. We want
  you to join our team in Utah. Pass our "Perl Challenge" to win a $100
  Amazon gift card and an interview. Hires will receive a sizable signing
  bonus.
  --------------

=============

Announcements

  The Creator of Perl is Coming to Romania
  http://programming.tudorconstantin.com/2015/03/larry-wall-is-coming-to-romania.html

  Larry Wall will be a guest speaker for the 3rd anniversary of Cluj.pm. In
  other news, Cluj.pm is already 3 years old? Geeee, time sure flies...
  --------------

  Rex turns 1.0.0
  https://www.rexify.org/howtos/releases/1.0.0.html

  The deployment and configuration management tool Rex reached v1.0.0.
  --------------

  Call for Venue for YAPC::Europe::2016
  http://www.yapceurope.org/news.html#20150309

  This year, it's all happening in Granada. But next year...? The call for
  venues is officially on and, if you desire to have YAPC be in your city,
  you have until May the 15th to send your letter of intent to the
  committee.
  --------------

=============

Articles

  Perl in February
  http://martian.org/karen/2015/03/09/perl-in-february-2/

  Karen recaps what has been going in the organizational world of Perl.
  Conferences are prepared, programs are readied, grants are evaluated. In
  short, business as usual (which, mind you, is an excellent thing).
  --------------

  How to add online code badges to your Perl projects
  http://onionstand.blogspot.ca/2015/03/how-to-add-online-code-badges-to-your.html

  Badges are nifty. Want to add some to your GitHub README.md and your
  metaCPAN POD? Garu is going to show you how.
  --------------

=============

Discussion

  The top 10 hosts for CPAN repositories
  http://neilb.org/2015/03/11/top-repo-hosts.html

  Where do the repositories of CPAN modules live? Neil crunched the numbers
  and share the result. Spoiler alert: if GitHub goes down, it won't be
  pretty.
  --------------

  Dear Lazyblog
  http://blogs.perl.org/users/lichtkind/2015/03/dear-lazyblog.html

  Want to have your stuff talked about at the German Linux Conference but
  won't be there? lichtkind might be the proxy you were looking for.
  --------------

  Why I donated to the Perl QA Hackathon
  http://blogs.perl.org/users/camspi/2015/03/why-i-donated-to-the-perl-qa-hackathon.html

  Camspi loves working with Perl. Ergo, he wants it to go on and flourish.
  Hence his patronage of the Perl QA Hackaton.
  --------------

=============

Code

  GPS and Perl
  http://perltricks.com/article/158/2015/3/10/GPS-and-Perl

  If you want to add some GPS functionality to your Raspberry Pi -- or
  anything else that runs Perl and has a GPS interface -- this article is
  for you.
  --------------

  Creating API-friendly CLI applications with parseable outputs
  https://perlancar.wordpress.com/2015/03/13/pericmd-039-creating-api-friendly-cli-applications-with-parseable-outputs/

  perlancar shows how Perinci::CmdLine can take away the drudgery of creating
  tabular output for command-line tools.
  --------------

  Quickly Debug your Perl code at the command line
  http://perltricks.com/article/160/2015/3/13/Quickly-Debug-your-Perl-code-at-the-command-line

  perl, the executable, comes with a vast panoply of command-line arguments.
  David covers here the most useful ones you absolutely need to know.
  --------------

  Writing XS Like a Pro - The INTERFACE Keyword
  http://blogs.perl.org/users/nick_wellnhofer/2015/03/writing-xs-like-a-pro---the-interface-keyword.html

  XS coders, gather 'round, for Nick Wellnhofer is about to reveal the
  secrets of the INTERFACE keyword.
  --------------

=============

Perl 6

  2015.10 FOSDEM Videos and Role Conflicts
  https://p6weekly.wordpress.com/2015/03/09/2015-10-fosdem-videos-and-role-conflicts/

  What happened on the Perl6 front this week. Plus a nice bunch of Perl6
  videos from FOSDEM.
  --------------

  Why is it hard to write a compiler for Perl6?
  http://perlgeek.de/blog-en/perl-6/2015-why-hard.html

  For everybody who ever asked the question, Moritz counts the ways.
  --------------

=============

Weekly collections

  CPAN great modules released last week
  http://niceperl.blogspot.com/2015/03/xix-cpan-great-modules-released-last.html

  --------------

  metacpan weekly report - ZMQ::FFI
  http://niceperl.blogspot.com/2015/03/cli-metacpan-weekly-report-zmqffi.html

  --------------

  stackoverflow perl report
  http://niceperl.blogspot.com/2015/03/clxxvi-stackoverflow-perl-report.html

  --------------

=============

Perl Maven Tutorials

  Passing two arrays to a function
  http://perlmaven.com/passing-two-arrays-to-a-function

  Just showing one of the uses of references...
  --------------

  Moo and required attributes
  http://perlmaven.com/moo-and-required-attributes

  ... and how to convince Moo (or anything else) to give a clear(er) error
  messages.
  --------------

  How to download a Perl module from CPAN
  http://perlmaven.com/download-a-perl-module-from-cpan

  Sometimes you might want to download and unzip a whole distribution without
  even installing it. There are a number of ways to do this.
  --------------

=============

You joined the Perl Weekly to get weekly e-mails about the Perl programming language and related topics.

Want to see more? See the archives ( http://perlweekly.com/archive/ ) of all the issues.

Reading this as a non-subscriber? Join us free of charge. http://perlweekly.com/

(C) Copyright Gabor Szabo http://szabgab.com/
The articles are copyright the respective authors.

You can freely redistribute this message if
you keep the whole message intact, including
the Copyright notice and this text.

If you don't want to receive mails any more
you can unsubscribe here: http://perlweekly.com/unsubscribe.html