[Kochi-pm] [Perlweekly] #164 - Padre is now on GitHub

Gabor Szabo gabor at szabgab.com
Mon Sep 15 00:06:12 PDT 2014

Perl Weekly

http://perlweekly.com/

You can read the newsletter on the web, if you prefer.
http://perlweekly.com/archive/164.html

Hi,

I am impressed that the relatively small 'Swiss Perl Workshop' is still
getting reports. I wish people attending other Perl events were that
enthusiastic as well. Was this the weather? (which apparently is the 'topic
of the week'), or have they just received too much chocolate?

Anyway, enjoy your week! ~szabgab

Announcements

  Padre is now on Github
  http://bit.ly/1BFfmMb

  After a long long waiting period, finally Kaare Rasmussen stepped up and
  JFDI-ed. Using some earlier preparations by Kevin Dawson he converted the
  Padre repository that had about 100 separate projects in it, into 100
  GitHub repositories. There is still a lot to do around the move, but we
  have already seen some activities around the repositories. It is a great
  opportunity to revive this project that has been almost dormant for 2
  years.
  --------------

=============

Articles

  Parsing: a timeline
  http://bit.ly/1BFfmMe

  Jeffrey Kegler writes about the history of parsing things and how it got to
  Marpa.
  --------------

  Get a weather report at the terminal with Perl
  http://bit.ly/1BFfnQd

  David Farrell explains how to us WWW::Wunderground.::API to find out what
  os the weather like in New York. Down to the hour.
  --------------

  Leveraging the Forecast.io API
  http://bit.ly/1y55CMR

  Apparently Dave Jacoby is also interested what's the weather like, but he
  used a different source for his information. He directly talks to the web
  API using LWP::UserAgent and JSON.
  --------------

  Thoughts on craftsmanship: Worth Striving For
  http://bit.ly/1y55BbK

  As usual, Buddy Burden provides excellent explanation why it is good for
  business to let your employees enjoy what they do and be proud of their
  work.
  --------------

=============

Discussion

  What Do You Want Your YAPC To Be?
  http://bit.ly/1BFfmMl

  Daisuke Maki (Lestrrat) who organized YAPC::Asia in the past 6 years (or
  so) gives his thoughts on what was the goal of YAPC::Asia and how it can
  attract 1,300 attendees? see also reddit ("http://bit.ly/1y55CMX").
  --------------

=============

Testing

  If your core perl documentation uses =encoding, please test the new perldoc release
  http://bit.ly/1BFfmMn

  You don't want perldoc to break your code, do you? Mark Allen is asking you
  to make sure the next release won't break it either.
  --------------

=============

CPAN

  Some new MetaCPAN features
  http://bit.ly/1BFfnQq

  Get the documentation in EPUB or MOBI format; Show more than 20 results at
  a time. If you are a CPAN author, have an overview of your modules in
  dashboard.
  --------------

=============

Fun

  Invite Me (Virtually) To Your Next Perl Meetup
  http://bit.ly/1BFfn2E

  Jeffrey Ryan Thalhammer, author of Perl::Critic and Pinto has started to
  give on-line presentations to Perl Monger groups. A nice experiment. Try
  it!
  --------------

=============

Grants

  Grant Extension Request: Tony Cook
  http://bit.ly/1BFfn2H

  --------------

  Maintaining Perl 5: Grant Report for Month 13
  http://bit.ly/1BFfn2M

  Tony Cook reports
  --------------

  More Perl::Lint Progress
  http://bit.ly/1BFfo6I

  Taiki Kawakami is working on a new static analyzer for Perl 5.
  --------------

  Outreach Program for Women: Intern's Summary
  http://bit.ly/1BFfnj6

  Pattawan Kaewduangdee finished her Summer project on MetaCPAN with a visit
  to YAPC::Asia. This is her report to TPF.
  --------------

  September 2014 Grant Proposals
  http://bit.ly/1BFfo6L

  TPF has received 5 grant proposal and is now waiting for your input. You
  can ask questions or just let them know what do you think.
  --------------

=============

Core Perl

  The Perl Roadmap
  http://bit.ly/1BFfnj9

  An opinion on the discussion form last week by Augie De Blieck Jr.
  --------------

=============

Videos

  Growing Perl Developers
  http://bit.ly/1BFfnjc

  In this talk Nicholas Perez describes how they hire senior level
  programmers without any Perl background and turn them into Perl
  programmers. (25 min talk, 25 min QA)
  --------------

  DTrace War Stories
  http://bit.ly/1BFfo6M

  Shawn Moore described how he used DTrace as a last resort finding the
  source of some really strange issues. (20 min talk)
  --------------

=============

Weekly collections

  (cl) stackoverflow perl report
  http://bit.ly/1BFfo6N

  --------------

  (cxxv) metacpan weekly report - Pry
  http://bit.ly/1BFfnjd

  --------------

=============

Perl Maven Tutorials

  How to get the index of specific element (value) of an array?
  http://bit.ly/1BFfo6S

  Using grep, List::MoreUtils::first_index and a temporary hash.
  --------------

  How to sort a hash of hashes by value?
  http://bit.ly/1BFfo6W

  You can't really sort a hash, can you? So how could you sort a HoH, a Hash
  of Hashes?
  --------------

=============

Event reports

  2014 Swiss Perl Workshop redux
  http://bit.ly/1BFfona

  brian d foy writes about his experience, and the human aspect that needs to
  go into any project if we want it to be successful.
  --------------

  Perl 6 – Is it there yet?
  http://bit.ly/1BFfnjl

  Jussi Kinnula reports from YAPC:EU in Bulgaria
  --------------

=============

Events

  PPW 2014 Call for Talks
  http://bit.ly/1BFfnjo

  The Perl Foundation put out a call for talks for the Pittsburgh Perl
  Workshop to be held between 7-9 November, 2014. Talk submission
  dead-line: September 26th. - I am glad TPF takes a bit more active role
  in the promotion of some of the Perl events, though I am not sure what
  made PPW special about it? I don't recall announcements of any other Perl
  Workshop. Not even YAPC::NA.
  --------------

  #clujpm is back in town on Nov 13th 2014 - Call for Speakers
  http://bit.ly/1BFfqeN

  --------------

  Perl-related events
  http://bit.ly/1bkDys0

  In the following cities: Hancock (NY/USA), Itapema (SC/Brasil), Salzburg
  (Austria), Barcelona (Spain), London (UK)
  --------------

=============

You joined the Perl Weekly to get weekly e-mails about the Perl programming language and related topics.

Want to see more? See the archives ( http://perlweekly.com/archive/ ) of all the issues.

Reading this as a non-subscriber? Join us free of charge. http://perlweekly.com/

(C) Copyright Gabor Szabo http://szabgab.com/
The articles are copyright the respective authors.

You can freely redistribute this message if
you keep the whole message intact, including
the Copyright notice and this text.

If you don't want to receive mails any more
you can unsubscribe here: http://perlweekly.com/unsubscribe.html