[Kochi-pm] [Perlweekly] #155 - There Be Cobwebs In Those Coffers

Gabor Szabo gabor at szabgab.com
Sun Jul 13 22:37:49 PDT 2014

Perl Weekly

http://perlweekly.com/

You can read the newsletter on the web, if you prefer.
http://perlweekly.com/archive/155.html

 This week, we have echos of the next conferences coming out way (YAPC::EU,
the Perl Swiss Workshop, the next London.pm meetings). We also have some
updates of the financial state of some of Perl's foundations and, alas
without surprises, it seems we are running on a very lean budget -- perhaps
a reminder to us all to poke our $workplaces and see if they can't help in
some way to keep the ecosystem alive and well-fed. ~ `/anick

Sponsors

  We are Hiring a Senior Perl Software Developer - Grant Street Group
  http://bit.ly/1rM04mw

  We are a fast growing software company using open source software/modern
  Perl practices to build innovative e-payment, auction, and tax collection
  web applications. We have been hiring great Developers for many years,
  and we want to further expand our distributed team of talented and
  friendly Developers. Most of our experienced Developers telecommute;
  on-site positions are also available.
  --------------

=============

Announcements

  Swiss Perl Workshop in Two Months
  http://bit.ly/1q8JSvO

  Planning to attend the Swiss Perl Workshop? Now might be a good time to
  register, as the event is drawing close...
  --------------

  Where will YAPC::Europe 2015 take place?
  http://bit.ly/1q8JSvV

  Curious to know what are the cities in the race to host next year's
  YAPC::EU? Well, don't waste any time, click the link already!
  --------------

  P5CMF Needs some love
  http://bit.ly/1q8JSvY

  Dan Wright warns us that the Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund is running low on
  gas. Companies that rely on Perl to do the job, now would be a good time
  to chip in...
  --------------

  Grants Committee Budget
  http://bit.ly/1q8JQEf

  Makoto Nozaki gives us the low-down on the Perl Foundation Grants
  Committee; how much money they currently have, how the rest of the year
  looks like.
  --------------

  Perl Training and donation to TPF
  http://bit.ly/1q8JQEj

  Need Perl training, and willing to help TPF at the same time? Gabor Szabo
  has a proposition for you.
  --------------

  London Perl Mongers Meeting
  http://bit.ly/1q8JSvZ

  Dave Cross lets us know what's coming up at the London.pm meetings. (sneak
  peak: lots of good stuff, that's what is coming)
  --------------

=============

Articles

  Seven years of blogging
  http://bit.ly/1q8JQEl

  the site's statistics, he draws a list of his best hits, as well as his own
  favorite entries.
  --------------

  I went to YAPC::NA in Orlando!
  http://bit.ly/1q8JSw6

  Ricardo Signes gives us the second part of his YAPC::NA debriefing.
  --------------

  See you at YAPC::EU!
  http://bit.ly/1q8JQEp

  YAPC::NA is over, long live YAPC::EU. Alex Balhatchet and a contingent of
  Nestoria's devs are preparing themselves for the trip to Sofia, Bulgaria.
  --------------

  Community: helping each other
  http://bit.ly/1q8JSMk

  Neil Bowers testify of the synergy between CPAN authors, and how  we are
  more as a group than the sum of our parts.
  --------------

  Some statistics from Debian package tags
  http://bit.ly/1q8JQEu

  Steven Haryanto gathers some interesting stats on Debian packages and the
  languages in which they are based.
  --------------

  Why Learn Perl? Interview 4 - Emma Howson, Graduate and Emerging Perl Dancer
  http://bit.ly/1q8JQEv

  Andrew Solomon interviews Emma Howson, a young, nascent Perl developer (and
  author of the PerlAdventures blog which appears here from time to time).
  --------------

  The perversity of traditional Perl's dereferencing syntax
  http://bit.ly/1q8JSMo

  Perl's new postderef syntax looks funny, but there is a reason for it.
  Aristotle explains  the devil that lies in the details of the deadly
  dereferencing drama.
  --------------

=============

Discussion

  Amazon & Ebay
  http://bit.ly/1q8JSMp

  Using Interchange for your e-commerce? You might want to keep an eye on
  Stefan Hornburg, as he's starting a project that will allow Interchange
  to interface with Amazon and Ebay.
  --------------

  Metabase down?
  http://bit.ly/1q8JQUT

  gvl has problems reaching metabase.cpantesters.org. From the comments, it
  seems that the problem isn't with the server, but could be born out of an
  IO::Socket::IP bug.
  --------------

=============

Testing

  Rex meet Rspec
  http://bit.ly/1q8JQUU

  chenryn has a stab at porting rspec, a type of testing framework to  ensure
  a host's configuration conforms to what is expected, to Perl.
  --------------

  Finding unused variables in your Template stash
  http://bit.ly/1q8JSMu

  Ovid offers us the first draft of a cruft-busting tool that aims to detect
  variables that are pushed to the templates but never used.
  --------------

=============

Code

  Tell me more, tell me more
  http://bit.ly/1q8JQUY

  Mark Fowler announces a new version of Test::DatabaseRow. With the next
  version comes an easier way to tell the tests to open wide the gates of
  verbosity.
  --------------

  Benchmarking several ASCII-table-generator modules
  http://bit.ly/1q8JQUZ

  Steven Haryanto compares modules producing text-based tables. And yes, some
  metrics are presented in text-based tables themselves. Yo dawg.
  --------------

  A Ringleader Proxy for Sporadically-Used Web Applications
  http://bit.ly/1q8JSMz

  Yanick plays around with a proxying service to manage his herd of
  sporadically-used toy web applications.
  --------------

  HTML pro-parsing tips
  http://bit.ly/1q8JRbe

  "Parse HTML? Easy, let me write a regex!" NO! Stop right there, and go read
  David Farell's tricks and recommendations to sanely parse HTML instead.
  Trust me, you'll thank me later.
  --------------

  Perl virtual tables for DBD::SQLite : ready to test
  http://bit.ly/1q8JRbf

  Laurent Dami continues on his quest for Perl-based virtual table support
  for SQLite. This time around, he has a working prototype to share with
  us.
  --------------

  Because Sometimes Lightspeed is Too Slow
  http://bit.ly/1q8JT2S

  Tiny::Type is still too sluggish for you? You're mad. And so is Toby
  Inkster, who wrote a XS version of the module that gives a 300% boost to
  an already lean speed demon.
  --------------

  Non-blocking Mojolicious apps are even easier now!
  http://bit.ly/1q8JT2W

  Joel Berger raves about the new features of Mojolicious, and of the doors
  they open (or, at least, make much easier to pass through).
  --------------

=============

Fun

  Fun with image transformations in Perl
  http://bit.ly/1q8JT2Z

  Sinan Unur is having fun swapping pixels between classic paintings using
  GD::Image.
  --------------

=============

Weekly collections

  StackOverflow Perl report
  http://bit.ly/1q8JRbi

  --------------

  MetaCPAN Weekly Report - Task::Kensho & perl
  http://bit.ly/1q8JRbm

  --------------

=============

Videos

  First Time CPAN Contributor
  http://bit.ly/1q8JRbo

  24 min talk by Adam Dutko at YAPC::NA 2014
  --------------

  What's new in Mojolicious 5.0
  http://bit.ly/1q8JRbr

  19 min talk by Sebastian Riedel the author of Mojolicious. (pls note: Sound
  starts at 2:15)
  --------------

=============

Perl Maven Tutorials

  Fetching data from YouTube using Perl
  http://bit.ly/1q8JRbu

  14 min screencast and article
  --------------

=============

Events

  Perl-related events
  http://bit.ly/1bkDys0

  In the following cities: Sofia (Bulgaria), Tokyo (Japan), Flörli Olten
  (Switzerland), Hancock (NY/USA), Itapema (SC/Brasil), Salzburg (Austria),
  Barcelona (Spain)
  --------------

=============

You joined the Perl Weekly to get weekly e-mails about the Perl programming language and related topics.

Want to see more? See the archives ( http://perlweekly.com/archive/ ) of all the issues.

Reading this as a non-subscriber? Join us free of charge. http://perlweekly.com/

(C) Copyright Gabor Szabo http://szabgab.com/
The articles are copyright the respective authors.

You can freely redistribute this message if
you keep the whole message intact, including
the Copyright notice and this text.

If you don't want to receive mails any more
you can unsubscribe here: http://perlweekly.com/unsubscribe.html