[Kochi-pm] [Perlweekly] #153 - How to get a medal from the Army for writing Perl?

Gabor Szabo gabor at szabgab.com
Sun Jun 29 22:37:34 PDT 2014

Perl Weekly

http://perlweekly.com/

You can read the newsletter on the web, if you prefer.
http://perlweekly.com/archive/153.html

Hi

while probably due to YAPC there are not so many articles from the usual
suspects, there are two from outside the echo-chamber (Rex automation and
medal from the Army).

The recorded videos from YAPC::NA are also available and there is a
fund-raiser going on to release the next version of WebGUI, a CMS in Perl.

Oh, and there is going to be a Dancer conference too.

Enjoy!

Sponsors

  We are Hiring a Senior Perl Software Developer - Grant Street Group
  http://bit.ly/1kWEG7t

  We are a growing software company using open source software/modern Perl
  practices to build innovative e-payment, auction, and tax collection web
  applications. We are looking for talented, motivated professionals
  committed to flawless work and customer service.
  --------------

=============

Articles

  Why Learn Perl? Interview 2 - Andy Beverley, Serial Entrepreneur
  http://bit.ly/Vz84dz

  Andrew Solomon keeps interviewing his students at Geekuni.
  --------------

  First steps in IT automation by Rex Automation Tool
  http://bit.ly/Vz84dA

  Unfortunately only the beginning of the article is available free of
  charge, but I am glad to see Rex, a Perl-based alternative of Puppet and
  Chef, making into the Admin Magazine.
  --------------

  How I got a medal from the Army for writing code
  http://bit.ly/Vz84dF

  Deployed in Iraq. What can you do with Perl? The same story also told by
  The Register ("http://bit.ly/Vz84dC").
  --------------

=============

Discussion

  Perl smartmatch : what now ?
  http://bit.ly/Vz84tU

  Laurent Dami raised the frustrating question. You know, the smartmatch
  operator and the given/when pair that were introduced in perl 5.10 have
  been marked as experimental in 5.18 and it is not clear how they might
  change in the future. A few suggestions how to deal with the problem.
  --------------

=============

Testing

  How to Run a Single Test via Dist::Zilla
  http://bit.ly/Vz84tW

  Olaf Alders shares a one-liner he saw on #dzil.
  --------------

=============

Code

  perlsloc - Count Perl Source Lines with Perl::Tidy
  http://bit.ly/Vz84tX

  A small shell script using ack, perltidy, xargs, and wc to count the source
  lines of code in any number of directories.
  --------------

=============

Web

  Catalyst 'Ancona' : Application Tracing feature
  http://bit.ly/Vz8654

  A Quest and a branch
  --------------

=============

CPAN

  100 days of CPAN releases
  http://bit.ly/Vz84tY

  Neil Bowers had this crazy idea of releasing a CPAN module every day. I am
  really happy that this mostly involved releasing fixes for existing
  modules. Apparently he now needs help getting his hand on more modules.
  So if you are a CPAN author who wants to get rid of a module, this might
  be a good time to contact Neil!
  --------------

=============

Fundraising

  Liberate a powerful, popular CMS written in Perl to compete with WordPress and create demand for Perl skills.
  http://kck.st/Vz8659

  Scott Walters is looking to fund further development of WebGUI, the
  Perl-based Content Management System.
  --------------

=============

Grants

  Grants Committee 2014 first half
  http://bit.ly/Vz865a

  A few notes of Makoto Nozaki, the head of the Grants Committee
  --------------

  Grants Cancellation
  http://bit.ly/Vz84u1

  Both the YACT and, to my great surprise the Pinto grants were canceled.
  Unfortunately without any explanation.
  --------------

  Unofficial information about The Perl Foundation Grants
  http://bit.ly/Vz84u2

  Collected data about the Grants TPF gave between 2010 and 2014. Including
  all forms of grants, 'General TPF Grant', 'Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund',
  and 'Hague Grants'.
  --------------

=============

Slides

  YAPC::NA 2014 Talk Slides
  http://bit.ly/Vz84u7

  Dave Rolsky has posted his slides, including the ones he used for his Intro
  to Moose class, a lightning talk titled 'Stepford, a Thing Sort of Like
  Make', and the his Date with Perl ("http://bit.ly/Vz84u5").
  --------------

=============

Videos

  YAPC::NA videos
  http://bit.ly/Vz84u8

  Last week I had to send a second edition just to let you know about the
  live feed of the YAPC::NA. It was great to watch some of the talks live
  but, you probably did not have time to watch all of them. Luckily the
  videos are already on YouTube and by now they have been added to PerlTV
  site as well. You can watch them here.
  --------------

  Computer science for the self taught hacker
  http://bit.ly/Vz84ub

  21 min video overing subject such as 'complexity', big-O notation, sorting
  algorithms, and more.
  --------------

  Perl Platform as a Service Shootout
  http://bit.ly/Vz84Kr

  22 min video: How easy is it to publish a Perl-based application on Heroku
  and on dotCloud?
  --------------

  TPF Year in Review - 2014
  http://bit.ly/Vz84Ku

  11 min with Dan Wright, the treasurer of The Perl Foundation.
  --------------

=============

Perl 6

  What I've been working on, and what's coming up
  http://bit.ly/Vz84KB

  Jonathan Worthington, one of the key core developers of Perl 6 who also
  gives great presentations ("http://bit.ly/Vz86lB"), gives us some insite
  into his plans: Asynchronous Bits, MoarVM's dynamic optimizer, JIT
  Compilation for MoarVM, and various Rakudo fixes an optimizations.
  --------------

=============

Weekly collections

  2014.25: optimizations, more CPAN, more GSoC, YAPC::NA, and a release.
  http://bit.ly/Vz84KC

  The Perl 6 weekly
  --------------

  MetaCPAN weekly report - RapidApp & Test::RequiresInternet
  http://bit.ly/Vz84KF

  --------------

  StackOverflow Perl report
  http://bit.ly/Vz850V

  --------------

=============

Events

  Perl::Dancer Conference 2014
  http://bit.ly/Vz86lK

  October 8-9, 2014 in Hancock, NY with two training days before the
  conference.
  --------------

  Remnants of a Deeper YAPC
  http://bit.ly/Vz86lN

  Buddy Burden nicely tells his story attending YAPC::NA 2014. If you could
  not attend, but would like to get the feeling a bit, this might be a good
  starting point.
  --------------

  Perl-related events
  http://bit.ly/1bkDys0

  In the following cities: Granada (ES), Sofia (BG), Tokyo (JP), Flörli Olten
  (CH), Hancock (NY/USA), Salzburg (AT)
  --------------

=============

You joined the Perl Weekly to get weekly e-mails about the Perl programming language and related topics.

Want to see more? See the archives ( http://perlweekly.com/archive/ ) of all the issues.

Reading this as a non-subscriber? Join us free of charge. http://perlweekly.com/

(C) Copyright Gabor Szabo http://szabgab.com/
The articles are copyright the respective authors.

You can freely redistribute this message if
you keep the whole message intact, including
the Copyright notice and this text.

If you don't want to receive mails any more
you can unsubscribe here: http://perlweekly.com/unsubscribe.html