[Kochi-pm] [Perlweekly] #149 - Perl 5.20 released

Gabor Szabo gabor at szabgab.com
Sun Jun 1 22:27:25 PDT 2014

Perl Weekly

http://perlweekly.com/

You can read the newsletter on the web, if you prefer.
http://perlweekly.com/archive/149.html

This week had way too much happening in Perl.

Perl 5.20 has been released. It is available from CPAN in source code
format. MS Windows users can already download Strawberry Perl 5.20.0.1

Mojolicious Five Point Oh has been released.

The 2014 edition of the Modern Perl book has been published

New developer tool: perlmodules.net

Oh, and Parrot had a new release too.

YAPC::NA finally has a preliminary version of its schedule. It also has a
list of courses available before and after the conference.

The first Perl Workshop in Granada, Spain, and the next YAPC::Asia in Tokyo
have also been announced.

Sponsors

  We are Hiring a Senior Perl Software Developer - Grant Street Group
  http://bit.ly/1kWEG7t

  We are a growing software company using open source software/modern Perl
  practices to build innovative e-payment, auction, and tax collection web
  applications. We are looking for talented, motivated professionals
  committed to flawless work and customer service.We are a growing software
  company using open source software/modern Perl practices to build
  innovative e-payment, auction, and tax collection web applications. We
  are looking for talented, motivated professionals committed to flawless
  work and customer service.
  --------------

=============

GitTip profile of the week
GitTip allows you to give a regular weekly monetary gift to people in order
  to encourage them to do more of the awesome stuff they have been doing.
  The gifts can be as low as 1 cent a week. In this section every week you
  will see a different Perl developer we recommend you support. Oh, and the
  Perl Weekly itself also has a GitTip account
  ("https://www.gittip.com/PerlWeekly/").

  CPAN Testers on Gittip
  http://bit.ly/1hOS5fM

  Barbie got control over the Twitter account called @cpantesters
  ("http://bit.ly/1hOS3Ep"), and now he has set up a Gittip account
  ("http://bit.ly/1hOS5fJ") as well. By supporting the team you help with
  the maintenance of the servers and infrastructure of the CPAN Testers.
  --------------

=============

Announcements

  perl 5.20 released
  http://bit.ly/1hOS3EH

  Many improvements, including experimental Subroutine signatures. Go ahead
  compile it from source and start using it. Soon after the announcement
  David Farrell posted a short overview of what you need to know
  ("http://bit.ly/1hOS5wa") about perl 5.20.
  --------------

  Strawberry Perl 5.20.0.1 released
  http://bit.ly/1hOS5wf

  --------------

  Mojolicious 5.0 released: Perl real-time web framework
  http://bit.ly/1hOS5wh

  Right on the heels of the first Mojolicious conference (Mojoconf) Sebastian
  Riedel announced the new version.
  --------------

  Modern Perl: 2014 Electronic Editions Released
  http://bit.ly/1hOS5Mx

  --------------

  New developer tool: perlmodules.net
  http://bit.ly/1hOS3V4

  Use this if you'd like to get alerted when one of the dependencies of your
  application has a new version.
  --------------

=============

Articles

  Modification of a read-only value attempted
  http://bit.ly/1hOS5MD

  While refactoring a large code-base, domm has encountered this error. It
  turns out it was a bug in DBIx::Class::Schema::Loader clobbering $_.
  Besides that, I'd say: Using $_ explicitly is usually not a good idea.
  --------------

=============

Code

  Introspection in Devel::Trepan
  http://bit.ly/1hOS5ME

  Listing names of functions while debugging by Rocky Bernstein.
  --------------

  Reading Code - Camel-Snake-Kebab
  http://bit.ly/1hOS5ML

  Eric Johnson is converting variable names among CamelCase,  snake_case, and
  kebab-case.
  --------------

=============

Web

  Perl Catalyst - Concepts, Components and (use) Cases.
  http://bit.ly/1hOS4bz

  --------------

  MojoConf 2014 Recap
  http://bit.ly/1hOS634

  Joel Berger attended the first Mojoconf.
  --------------

=============

Parrot

  Parrot 6.4.0 "Double-eyed Fig Parrot" released!
  http://bit.ly/1hOS4bF

  --------------

=============

Videos

  Database Unit-Testing with PGTAP
  http://bit.ly/1hOS637

  TAP is one of the awesome things born out of the Perl ecosystem that
  turned out to be nifty enough to sneak out and colonize other projects.
  Su-Shee talks here of its use with databases, Postgres, more
  specifically. ~yanick
  --------------

  Writing Webapps with Perl Dancer
  http://bit.ly/1hOS639

  A 50 min introduction to Perl Dancer, by Yanick Champoux, the other editor
  of the Perl Weekly.
  --------------

  Perl Data Language (PDL)
  http://bit.ly/1hOS4s0

  20 minute talk by Jan Hoogenraad for scientists.
  --------------

  Dancer Status 2014
  http://bit.ly/1hOS4s4

  Sawyer X, on the state of the dance floor these days. 20 min talk
  --------------

=============

Perl 6

  2014.21: NLPW2014 recordings, release, optimization, GTK and Cairo
  http://bit.ly/1hOS63h

  The regular Perl 6 weekly by Timo Paulssen.
  --------------

  Perl 6 meets JSON-RPC
  http://bit.ly/1hOS63k

  --------------

  t4: Rain in a world of cubes
  http://bit.ly/1hOS6jC

  Carl Mäsak is back in the ring for more blogging.
  --------------

=============

OOP

  Planet Moose - May 2014
  http://bit.ly/1hOS7nD

  The monthly report about Moose, Mouse, Moo, p5-mop, and a few other OOP
  related things by Toby Inkster.
  --------------

=============

Training

  Introduction to Moose Class at YAPC::NA 2014
  http://bit.ly/1hOS7nE

  Dave Rolsky is going to give an introduction to Moose at YAPC::NA. I
  strongly recommend his course!
  --------------

=============

Weekly collections

  StackOverflow Perl report
  http://bit.ly/1hOS6jN

  --------------

  MetaCPAN weekly report - perl
  http://bit.ly/1hOS7nL

  --------------

=============

Perl Maven Tutorials

  How to build a dynamic web application using PSGI
  http://bit.ly/1hOS6A6

  A simple example creating an application that can echo a string.
  --------------

=============

Events

  Granada Perl Workshop 2014
  http://bit.ly/SgXcPl

  27 June, 2013, Granada, Spain
  --------------

  YAPC::Asia Tokyo 2014
  http://bit.ly/Sh4m6a

  28-30 August, 2014, Tokyo, Japan
  --------------

  YAPC::NA Schedule and courses
  http://bit.ly/H6ndeD

  Finally there is a preliminary schedule ("http://bit.ly/1hOS6A8") and a
  list of courses ("http://bit.ly/1hOS7nO").
  --------------

  Perl-related events
  http://bit.ly/1bkDys0

  In the following cities: Paris (FR), St. Petersburg (Ru), Orlando (FL/USA),
  Granada (ES), Sofia (BG), Tokyo (JP), Flörli Olten (CH)
  --------------

=============

You joined the Perl Weekly to get weekly e-mails about the Perl programming language and related topics.

Want to see more? See the archives ( http://perlweekly.com/archive/ ) of all the issues.

Reading this as a non-subscriber? Join us free of charge. http://perlweekly.com/

(C) Copyright Gabor Szabo http://szabgab.com/
The articles are copyright the respective authors.

You can freely redistribute this message if
you keep the whole message intact, including
the Copyright notice and this text.

If you don't want to receive mails any more
you can unsubscribe here: http://perlweekly.com/unsubscribe.html