[Kochi-pm] [Perlweekly] #146 - Space Invaders in Perl 6

Gabor Szabo gabor at szabgab.com
Mon May 12 00:06:13 PDT 2014

Perl Weekly

http://perlweekly.com/

You can read the newsletter on the web, if you prefer.
http://perlweekly.com/archive/146.html

Hi,

First of all, let me apologize for the late and duplicate e-mails last
week. I upgraded the server just before sending out the edition and I
managed to break the mail-server. At first it did not send out the e-mail.
After fixing part of the server I tried to send it again, that did not work
either and then, when I finally managed to fix the server, all the messages
that were in the queue went out at once.

The Polish Perl Workshop ("http://act.yapc.eu/plpw2014/") is this weekend
in Poznan!.

In case you cannot attend, enjoy the articles!

Sponsors

  GitTip the Perl Weekly editors
  http://bit.ly/SRXrBl

  --------------

=============

GitTip profile of the week

  Stevan Little
  http://bit.ly/SRXtc8

  Stevan has been instrumental to a lot of modules on CPAN, some are even
  released by him ("http://bit.ly/SRXsFj"), but probably he is best known
  as the creator of Moose and the person who adds MOP to the core Perl.
  Sometimes he even blogs ("http://bit.ly/SRXsFp") about his progress. It
  would be great if you could say him thanks and encourage him to further
  work on the p5 MOP. In 2013 I conducted an interview with him
  ("http://bit.ly/13TatP2").
  --------------

=============

Articles

  Planet Moose - April 2014
  http://bit.ly/SRXuNe

  The monthly review of Toby Inkster about everything Object Oriented in
  Perl. New Moose and Moo releases.
  --------------

=============

Discussion

  Concerned about Perl (un)popularity
  http://bit.ly/SRXtcq

  A Reddit user wonders why Perl is slowly losing its popularity. Many people
  offer their opinion. Some of them even tell what others should do about
  it... It is an interesting read, but I wonder what will people actually
  do about it?
  --------------

  Thunderclap and the buzz for Perl
  http://bit.ly/SRXtsI

  Thunderclap allow you to commit to send a specific tweet (or Facebook
  share) at a certain time in the future. I started a little experiment
  with it. If you like it, please join the action.
  --------------

=============

Testing

  CPAN Testers Report Retrieval
  http://bit.ly/SRXv3P

  --------------

  Test::Pretty - Because TAP Is Unattractive
  http://bit.ly/SRXtJb

  Screenshots with colored output are always much more convincing than a wall
  of text explaining the advantages of something.
  --------------

=============

Code

  Examining the book 'Perl Best Practices'
  http://bit.ly/SRXvkj

  Laufeyjarson has started a series of articles examining 'The Book' that
  many people hold as the Holy Bible of Perl programming. He does not seem
  to agree with every point...
  --------------

  MongoDB REST Interface
  http://bit.ly/SRXvkm

  --------------

=============

Web

  Using Perl on Red Hat's OpenShift Cloud
  http://bit.ly/SRXtJm

  Ovid explains how to use this Platform as a Service (PaaS) system to avoid
  the need to handle sysadmin tasks while building a web application.
  --------------

  Covert Redirect Vulnerability with OAuth 2
  http://bit.ly/SRXtJn

  Not Perl specific, but if you write a web application using OAuth 2 and
  'Implicit Grant Flow' you might want to check this out.
  --------------

=============

CPAN

  Adopting DateTime::Calendar::Pataphysical
  http://bit.ly/SRXtJq

  A short explanation by Philippe Bruhat abut how he adopted this module. It
  is quite simple. You can do it too.
  --------------

  I broke Perl::MinimumVersion, sorry
  http://bit.ly/SRXtZG

  There are more than 8000 CPAN modules that depend indirectly on this
  module. Neil Bowers, the new maintainer released a new version of
  Perl::MinimumVersion, that broke some of the dependent modules. I think
  he is way to hard on himself, but the really interesting part is the list
  of ways he proposes to reduce the chance breaking the chain for other
  people. If you are a CPAN author, or if you are going to be a CPAN
  author, then these points can help reducing anxiety.
  --------------

=============

Perl 6

  Rakudo Star Release 2014.04
  http://bit.ly/SRXtZI

  This is the first Rakudo Star release with support for the MoarVM backend
  (all module tests pass on supported platforms) along with experimental
  support for the JVM backend (some module tests fail).
  --------------

  2014.18: More supply ops, loop labels, more async I/O on jvm
  http://bit.ly/SRXvB0

  The Perl 6 weekly.
  --------------

  Rakudobrew
  http://bit.ly/SRXtZO

  To make it easy to install Rakudo Perl 6
  --------------

  New game: Space Invaders
  http://bit.ly/SRXtZW

  After seeing this article, I spent 3 hours playing Space Invaders on some
  stupid clone, and thus I did not have the time to try the Perl 6 version
  yet, but I am really happy that Tadeusz Sosnierz (tadzik) created this.
  --------------

=============

Other

  When a Space Is Not Just a Space
  http://shutr.bz/SRXugf

  Nick Patch, Perl developer and resident Unicode expert of Shutterstock
  explains the space.
  --------------

  Interview with Christian Walde
  http://bit.ly/SRXugl

  Viacheslav Tykhanovskyi (vti) conducted a written interview with Mithaldu.
  It is available at the Pragmatic Perl web site, both in English and in
  Russian.
  --------------

=============

Weekly collections

  StackOverflow Perl report
  http://bit.ly/SRXwoo

  --------------

  MetaCPAN weekly report - Devel::Trepan
  http://bit.ly/SRXwos

  --------------

=============

Perl Maven Tutorials

  Split CSV file into multiple small CSV files
  http://bit.ly/SRXuwO

  Separate solution for both horizontal and vertical splitting.
  --------------

  Getting started with PSGI
  http://bit.ly/SRXuwZ

  --------------

=============

Events

  Perl-related events
  http://bit.ly/1bkDys0

  In the following cities: Poznan (PL), Prague (CZ), Oslo (NO), Paris (FR),
  Kiev (UA), Orlando (FL/USA), Sofia (BG), Flörli Olten (CH)
  --------------

=============

You joined the Perl Weekly to get weekly e-mails about the Perl programming language and related topics.

Want to see more? See the archives ( http://perlweekly.com/archive/ ) of all the issues.

Reading this as a non-subscriber? Join us free of charge. http://perlweekly.com/

(C) Copyright Gabor Szabo http://szabgab.com/
The articles are copyright the respective authors.

You can freely redistribute this message if
you keep the whole message intact, including
the Copyright notice and this text.

If you don't want to receive mails any more
you can unsubscribe here: http://perlweekly.com/unsubscribe.html