[Kochi-pm] [Perlweekly] #143 - Perl-Operated Boy

Gabor Szabo gabor at szabgab.com
Mon Apr 21 00:00:34 PDT 2014

Perl Weekly

http://perlweekly.com/

You can read the newsletter on the web, if you prefer.
http://perlweekly.com/archive/143.html

Along the song by Psyche Corporation, there are also four Perl 6-related
articles this week. Including a game.

The Dutch Perl Workshop is this Friday! Don't miss it!

Sponsors

  We are Hiring a Senior Perl Software Developer - Grant Street Group
  http://bit.ly/1kWEG7t

  We are a growing software company using open source software/modern Perl
  practices to build innovative e-payment, auction, and tax collection web
  applications. We are looking for talented, motivated professionals
  committed to flawless work and customer service.<br>Apply Online here
  ("http://bit.ly/1kWEG7t").
  --------------

  We are Hiring an ETL Perl Software Developer - Grant Street Group
  http://bit.ly/1r72kC3

  We are a growing software company using open source software/modern Perl
  practices to build innovative e-payment, auction, and tax collection web
  applications. We are looking for talented, motivated professionals
  committed to flawless work and customer service.<br>Apply Online here
  ("http://bit.ly/1r72kC3").
  --------------

=============

Articles

  Is a strong caution about Heartbleed worth the disruption to distributions with a declared dependency on Crypt::SSLeay?
  http://bit.ly/1r72kSl

  Sinan Unur has been quite busy discussing the fallout from the Heartbleed
  OpenSSL bug and how it relates to Perl.
  --------------

  Does your code really depend on Crypt::SSLeay?
  http://bit.ly/1r72kSy

  --------------

  Introducing fsql and chart
  http://bit.ly/1r72mtF

  Two command-line utilities to help you slice/dice and visualize data from
  CSV files on the console.
  --------------

  I still hate email
  http://bit.ly/1r72mJU

  Not exactly Perl, but if you are into sending e-mails, then you might want
  to read this from Ricardo Signes.
  --------------

=============

Testing

  CPANdeps pass/fail display now working again
  http://bit.ly/1r72n0r

  CPANdeps ("http://bit.ly/1r72lpl") lets you see the test results of all the
  dependencies of a given module in a single page.
  --------------

=============

Code

  Sending email in Perl
  http://bit.ly/1r72lFQ

  It's funny to see a web-site titled 'PHP Developer' publishing articles on
  how to do things in Perl. This one is using Email::Sender::Simple and
  Email::Simple to send an e-mail.
  --------------

  Learning the Perl Debugger: Lesson 3
  http://bit.ly/1r72n0A

  In this part we see the use of s - step in, n - step over, r - step out,
  and c - continue running.
  --------------

  Passing arguments
  http://bit.ly/1r72n0F

  Sebastian Willing compares 8 different ways for passing arguments to a
  function checking their speed.
  --------------

=============

Web

  Codecube.io Now Supports Perl
  http://bit.ly/1r72ngU

  Codecube.io is another web site that allows you to run arbitrary code via
  the web page. Now, thanks to Eric Johnson, it also supports Perl.
  --------------

=============

CPAN

  Adopting DateTime::Format::Mail
  http://bit.ly/1r72oBu

  More than 10 years after Iain Truskett, the original author of this module
  has passed away, and after it changed hands several time, BooK (aka.
  Philippe Bruhat) adopts the module. The little we can do to preserve the
  memory of the people who have contributed to the Perl world.
  --------------

  Release often
  http://bit.ly/1r72oBA

  Maybe releasing a CPAN module every day is crazy, but Neil Bowers puts his
  hand on something that is extremely difficult to do and very valuable:
  persistence. He has decided to release a new version of a CPAN module
  every day, but he also offers a bunch of less involved tasks that us,
  mere mortals, can stick to. So if you'd like to reach something just make
  sure you make a step every day. An alternative to this idea came from
  Eric Johnson recommending to write code every day
  ("http://bit.ly/1r72oBv").
  --------------

  Maintainer's Notes on rt.cpan.org
  http://bit.ly/1r72oBH

  Did you know, that you, as a CPAN author, can put a banner text on the top
  of the RT pages of your modules? That can be a very good way to tell
  users of your code how, and where to submit bug reports.
  --------------

=============

Fun

  Perl-Operated Boy (full song) by Psyche Corp.
  http://bit.ly/1r72oS7

  Filk/parody of Coin-Operated Boy by Dresden Dolls. Lyrics included!  Psyche
  Corporation ("http://bit.ly/1r72oBL")
  --------------

  Raspberry Photo Booth
  http://bit.ly/1r72nxx

  --------------

=============

Windows

  Strawberry Perl 5.18.2.2 released
  http://bit.ly/1r72p8A

  Updated external libraries - especially openssl-1.0.1g with a fix for
  heartbleed bug. Updated perl modules
  --------------

=============

Parrot

  Parrot 6.3.0 "Black-cheeked Lovebird" released
  http://bit.ly/1r72nxI

  --------------

=============

Perl 6

  Week 15: Performance Work continued
  http://bit.ly/1r72p8M

  The Perl 6 weekly
  --------------

  Racing to writeness to wrongness leads
  http://bit.ly/1r72pp2

  Jonathan Worthington writes about C# and how he implemented threading in
  Perl 6 running on top of the JVM. It isn't easy to read, but as usual it
  is filled with sentences like this one: 'If anything, we want such
  inevitably unreliable programs to reliably fail, not reliably pretend to
  work.'
  --------------

  About Those Slangs...
  http://bit.ly/1r72nOa

  --------------

  New Perl6 game: RetroRacer
  http://bit.ly/1r72ppb

  Tadeusz Sosnierz has written a car-racing game in Perl 6. Has the speed of
  Perl 6 improved so much that you can already play racing games?
  --------------

=============

Weekly collections

  MetaCPAN weekly report - Sort::Naturally
  http://bit.ly/1r72ppe

  --------------

  StackOverflow Perl report
  http://bit.ly/1r72o4J

  --------------

=============

Perl Maven Tutorials

  How to run a Perl script automatically every N hours
  http://bit.ly/1r72pFD

  Quick example using cron.
  --------------

  How does the world wide web work?
  http://bit.ly/1r72pFI

  A building block for a series of articles about web development using Perl.
  This one provides some background.
  --------------

=============

Events

  Perl-related events
  http://bit.ly/1bkDys0

  In the following cities: Utrecht (NL), Silver Spring, (MD/USA), Poznan
  (PL), Prague (CZ), Oslo (NO), Paris (FR), Kiev (UA), Orlando (FL/USA),
  Sofia (BG), Flörli Olten (CH)
  --------------

=============

You joined the Perl Weekly to get weekly e-mails about the Perl programming language and related topics.

Want to see more? See the archives ( http://perlweekly.com/archive/ ) of all the issues.

Reading this as a non-subscriber? Join us free of charge. http://perlweekly.com/

(C) Copyright Gabor Szabo http://szabgab.com/
The articles are copyright the respective authors.

You can freely redistribute this message if
you keep the whole message intact, including
the Copyright notice and this text.

If you don't want to receive mails any more
you can unsubscribe here: http://perlweekly.com/unsubscribe.html