[Kochi-pm] [Perlweekly] #140 - Hobbies and Hobbits

Gabor Szabo gabor at szabgab.com
Mon Mar 31 00:37:54 PDT 2014

Perl Weekly

http://perlweekly.com/

You can read the newsletter on the web, if you prefer.
http://perlweekly.com/archive/140.html

Hi,

Have I mentioned already that my long-time client, that once a few months
asks me to do some urgent work, has done so again? So I am totally busy
writing a few small, Dancer-based, in-house web-apps.

Enjoy the articles!

Testing

  Learning the Perl Debugger: Introduction
  http://bit.ly/1ogRgnG

  Chisel Wright started to teach his fellow Net-A-Porter employees how to use
  the built-in Perl debugger. He is now sharing the experience via GitHub.
  --------------

=============

Code

  Perl references: create, dereference and debug with confidence
  http://bit.ly/1ogRhYU

  Funnily, a day after I published an article explaining the various return
  values of the ref() command, David Farrell has also published an article
  explaining how to use references in Perl.
  --------------

=============

Web

  New Catalyst Development Branch "Ancona" Ready for Commiters
  http://bit.ly/1ogRhYX

  Do you use Catalyst? Are you interested in contributing to the code-base?
  John Napiorkowski has started the new round of development. He is looking
  forward to contribution in forms of patches, or comments, or at least
  votes on which features are more important to work on.
  --------------

=============

CPAN

  An Organization for Alien::Base
  http://bit.ly/1ogRife

  The Alien::* packages make it easy to install non-perl dependencies using
  the cpan client. Alien::Base makes it easy to create Alien::* packages.
  As Joel Berger, the author of the module tells us, the module now has a
  GitHub 'organization' to keep maintain the source code.
  --------------

  A CPAN client that works like a charm
  http://bit.ly/1ogRgnP

  Gianluca Casati shows how to configure 'cpan', the standard CPAN client,
  including some nice features like history and colors. Nowadays I usually
  use cpanminus, but when I have to use the cpan client this can be a
  really useful reminder.
  --------------

  Released Web::ChromeLogger
  http://bit.ly/1ogRgnU

  Web::ChromeLogger is a ChromeLogger library for Perl5. Chrome Logger is a
  Google Chrome extension for debugging server side applications in the
  Chrome console. (by Matsuno Tokuhiro)
  --------------

=============

Security

  Secure your passwords with KeePass and Perl
  http://bit.ly/1ogRifl

  David Farrell shows how to use File::KeePass to store the passwords you use
  on various web sites.
  --------------

  Perl Encryption Primer: Public Key Encryption
  http://bit.ly/1ogRgEh

  In this part of his series, Timm Murray explains the RSA public key/private
  key encryption and message signing algorithm. He also provides a short
  explanation of what is NP (nondeterministic polynomial time), and why it
  is important for us.
  --------------

  Perl Encryption Primer: Hashes
  http://bit.ly/1ogRgEj

  Hashes are one-way mappings of data to something more or less unique.
  Algorithms that you might have heard about include MD5, SHA-1, SHA-2, are
  implemented in modules in the Digest::* namespace. Timm Murray explains
  what are these hashing algorithms, when and how to use them, and what is
  the problem with birthday parties.
  --------------

=============

Fun

  Make Your Live Demo Flawless!
  http://bit.ly/1ogRgEo

  Jeffrey Ryan Thalhammer created App::Cleo, a tool to create keyboard typing
  mock-ups. It can replay whatever you do in the terminal, making live
  demonstrations nicer. A couple of other solutions are mentioned in the
  comment section including script/scriptreplay and IO::Prompter by Damian
  Conway.
  --------------

=============

Business

  3 Entrepreneurs Turn Hobbies Into Business Success
  http://amex.co/1ogRivW

  American Express writing about 3 people including JT Smith, the creator of
  The Game Crafter, WebGUI, and Lacuna Expanse. (If you are wondering those
  are 3 hobbies, not hobbits, as I read at first.)
  --------------

=============

Perl 6

  2014.12: Release Week, GSoC, and Game Development, oh my!
  http://bit.ly/1ogRiMh

  The Perl 6 weekly
  --------------

=============

Weekly collections

  MetaCPAN weekly report - File::Slurp::Tiny
  http://bit.ly/1ogRiMp

  --------------

  StackOverflow Perl report
  http://bit.ly/1ogRiMx

  --------------

=============

Perl Maven Tutorials

  Perl/CGI scripts with Apache2
  http://bit.ly/1ogRhbd

  While the recommended way to write modern web applications in Perl is using
  some PSGI-based framework, you might be one of the many people out there
  who need to maintain CGI scripts. In that case this introduction can help
  you.
  --------------

  ref - What kind of reference is this variable?
  http://bit.ly/1ogRhbj

  The ref() function will return the type of the reference you passed in.
  There are a few commonly seen values such as SCALAR, ARRAY, HASH and
  maybe CODE, but there are several others that we rarely see. In this
  article you'll see what those references are.
  --------------

  Common Warnings and Error messages in Perl
  http://bit.ly/1ogRj2N

  While the error messages of perl are exact, they are not always what a
  beginner needs to see. This is a collection of some of the most common
  errors and warnings, with other explanations.
  --------------

=============

German Perl Workshop reports
Reports written by Wolfgang Kinkeldei

  GPW2014 - REST workshop
  http://bit.ly/1ogRhbn

  --------------

  GPW2014 - Afternoon talks
  http://bit.ly/1ogRj2Q

  --------------

  GPW2014 - day 2
  http://bit.ly/1ogRj2T

  --------------

=============

Events

  Perl-related events
  http://bit.ly/1bkDys0

  In the following cities: Swindon (UK), Utrecht (NL), Silver Spring,
  (MD/USA), Poznan (PL), Prague (CZ), Oslo (NO), Paris (FR), Kiev (UA),
  Orlando (FL/USA), Sofia (BG), Flörli Olten (CH)
  --------------

=============

You joined the Perl Weekly to get weekly e-mails about the Perl programming language and related topics.

Want to see more? See the archives ( http://perlweekly.com/archive/ ) of all the issues.

Reading this as a non-subscriber? Join us free of charge. http://perlweekly.com/

(C) Copyright Gabor Szabo http://szabgab.com/
The articles are copyright the respective authors.

You can freely redistribute this message if
you keep the whole message intact, including
the Copyright notice and this text.

If you don't want to receive mails any more
you can unsubscribe here: http://perlweekly.com/unsubscribe.html