[Kochi-pm] [Perlweekly] #135 - What are you doing?

Gabor Szabo gabor at szabgab.com
Sun Feb 23 23:57:38 PST 2014

Perl Weekly

http://perlweekly.com/

You can read the newsletter on the web, if you prefer.
http://perlweekly.com/archive/135.html

Hi,

Two new events added: one in Cluj, Romania and the other in Paris. See them
at the end of the edition along with links to lots of other Perl-related
events.

A few days ago, I started to build a new site called EduMaven
("http://edumaven.com/"), where I am going to publish slides of my courses.
At first I think I am going to stick to the non-Perl courses.  With your
help, I'll get lots of new visitors, and then unleash the Perl slides on
them. Does that sound like a good plan?

Anyway, enjoy the weekly dose of Perl articles:

Sponsors

  We're Hiring Perl Software Developers - Grant Street Group
  http://bit.ly/14ZjcSG

  We're a growing software company using open source software/modern Perl
  practices to build innovative e-payment, auction, and tax collection web
  applications.<br>We're looking for talented, motivated professionals
  committed to flawless work and customer service.<br>Please apply online
  ("http://bit.ly/19sbfam").
  --------------

=============

Articles

  How does sort actually work?
  http://bit.ly/1cfoycg

  Emma Howson is learning Perl and writing about it.
  --------------

  Use DBIx-Class via delegation instead of inheritance
  http://bit.ly/1cfoyci

  --------------

=============

Testing

  Test Suites: To Critic or Not?
  http://bit.ly/1cfoAkm

  Using Perl::Critic to improve the code of your module is important, but is
  it also important to use it to clean up your tests? Asks Randy J. Ray.
  (hint: yes)
  --------------

=============

Code

  Getting a progress report from a running program
  http://bit.ly/1cfoAkn

  Excellent example using signals to ask a program: What are you doing?
  --------------

=============

Web

  Proposed Quests for Perl Catalyst "Ancona" Open for Comments
  http://bit.ly/1cfoAko

  John Napiorkowski has a farm and raises all kinds of animals. Not
  surprising that he named the next release of Catalyst after the Ancona
  Duck.
  --------------

  Is PearlBee Perl's next great blogging platform?
  http://bit.ly/1cfoysI

  David Farrel describes how to get started with this new blogging platform.
  Have you started to use it? If yes, please let me know, even if the blog
  is not about Perl. (reddit ("http://bit.ly/1cfoysD"))
  --------------

=============

CPAN

  Make sure your modules have a compliant abstract
  http://bit.ly/1cfoAAI

  Neil Bowers continues his quest to make CPAN a better place. This time he
  calls upon the CPAN authors to make sure the one-line abstract they have
  for their modules is well formatted. (This is another excellent
  opportunity to get your feet wet if you'd like to contribute to a CPAN
  module. Help an author fix the tag-line.)
  --------------

  New Perl DBD::ODBC 1.47 release
  http://bit.ly/1cfoAAN

  Martin Evans uploaded the latest production version to CPAN.
  --------------

  Announcing Chat::iFly
  http://bit.ly/1cfoAAS

  JT Smith implemented the Perl side of the iflychat
  ("http://bit.ly/1cfoysL") web chat service so you can integrate it with
  your website.
  --------------

  CPAN's social continuity of code
  http://bit.ly/1cfoAB0

  brian d foy describes the background, how modules on CPAN that have lost
  their original author can live on, and gain a new maintainer. brian also
  mentioned the available RSS feeds on	Perl authors on O'Reilly
  Programming blog ("http://bit.ly/1cfoysO").
  --------------

  I've uploaded a major release of Constant::Export::Lazy
  http://bit.ly/1cfoARh

  By Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason.
  --------------

=============

Fun

  Announcing: The Great UAV::Pilot Split
  http://bit.ly/1cfoysR

  Timm Murray reporting from the Wumpus Cave: The UAV::Pilot distribution is
  going to be split into several smaller distributions.
  --------------

=============

Grants

  2013 Year end report
  http://bit.ly/1cfoysS

  This is the annual report of The Perl Foundation. Many thanks to Dan Wright
  who started to produce these reports in the last 2 or 3 years.
  --------------

=============

Parrot

  Parrot 6.1.0 "Black-collared Lovebird" released
  http://bit.ly/1cfoARq

  --------------

=============

People

  The Mid-Career Crisis of the Perl Programmer
  http://bit.ly/1cfoyJb

  It is chromatic reaching a certain age an contemplating his past and
  future. A good read for some of us with comments on reddit
  ("http://bit.ly/1cfoARv").)
  --------------

  Perl and Me, Part 11: Please Mr. Perl, Will You DWIM?
  http://bit.ly/1cfoyJe

  Part 11 of the series Buddy Burden has been publishing.
  --------------

=============

Perl 6

  Changes during week 7 of 2014 Feb 17
  http://bit.ly/1cfoyJj

  MoarVM ("http://bit.ly/1cfoB7M") has it own web site, doc.perl6.org
  ("http://bit.ly/1cfoyJh") became prettier among many other news.
  Including a section on how can you get involved.
  --------------

=============

Other

  Never be afraid to change your design
  http://bit.ly/1cfoyJk

  JT Smith shows several stages in the design of space looks like in Lacuna
  Expanse.
  --------------

  Please Join Gittip
  http://bit.ly/1cfoyJl

  Gittip is a place where you can set up a regular weekly contribution to
  someone (probably an open source developer). Last week Peter Rabbitson
  called upon the Perl community to join Gittip and start giving a few
  dollars a week, this time it is Ovid. His point was that even just having
  Perl on the front page of Gittip will help Perl. Indeed his call brought
  Perl from the 19th place to the 10th place. I think we can do even
  better. The only thing you need to do is to join the 'Perl community' at
  Gittip. This is free. - Of course I'd go further and call upon you to
  start sending a few dollars a week.
  --------------

  Inside DuckDuckGo, Google's Tiniest, Fiercest Competitor
  http://bit.ly/1cfoB7Y

  Some background story about DDG on how they care about our privacy, and a
  few words on the fact that they mostly use Perl. - They currently serve
  more than 4,000,000 search queries per day.
  --------------

=============

Weekly collections

  MetaCPAN weekly report - DBI & Kelp
  http://bit.ly/1cfoyJm

  --------------

  StackOverflow perl report
  http://bit.ly/1cfoBoh

  --------------

=============

Perl Maven Tutorials

  Packages, modules, distributions, and namespaces in Perl
  http://bit.ly/1cfoyZD

  Is the meaning of the above words clear to you? Do you maybe use some of
  them interchangeably? Have some of those several different meanings?
  --------------

  Random numbers in forked processes
  http://bit.ly/1cfoBol

  Have you encountered the problem that forked processes generate the same
  series of random numbers? Here is why, and how to avoid it.
  --------------

=============

Events

  Sponsoring Perl events by running Perl training courses
  http://bit.ly/1cfoBom

  Perl events need funding. Developers need training. Companies need more
  knowledgeable developer. Some of us like teaching and visiting places. A
  win-win situation. So if you are an organizer, please get in touch, but
  if you are a would be attendee at one of the events, you could also
  contact the organizers and ask them about courses.
  --------------

  Perl counts of Transylvania
  http://bit.ly/1bTIUgB

  March 31, 2014, Cluj, Romania
  --------------

  French Perl Workshop 2014
  http://bit.ly/1geRZNL

  13-14 June 2014, Paris, France
  --------------

  Perl-related events
  http://bit.ly/1bkDys0

  In the following cities: Lyon (FR), Hannover (DE), Cluj (RO), Swindon (UK),
  Utrecht (NL), Silver Spring, (MD/USA), Poznan (PL), Prague (CZ), Oslo
  (NO), Paris (FR), Kiev (UA), Orlando (FL/US), Sofia (BG), Flörli Olten
  (CH)
  --------------

=============

You joined the Perl Weekly to get weekly e-mails about the Perl programming language and related topics.

Want to see more? See the archives ( http://perlweekly.com/archive/ ) of all the issues.

Reading this as a non-subscriber? Join us free of charge. http://perlweekly.com/

(C) Copyright Gabor Szabo http://szabgab.com/
The articles are copyright the respective authors.

You can freely redistribute this message if
you keep the whole message intact, including
the Copyright notice and this text.

If you don't want to receive mails any more
you can unsubscribe here: http://perlweekly.com/unsubscribe.html