[Kochi-pm] [Perlweekly] #125 - Snow, wind, no electricity, but plenty of Perl

Gabor Szabo gabor at szabgab.com
Sun Dec 15 23:16:56 PST 2013

Perl Weekly

http://perlweekly.com/

You can read the newsletter on the web, if you prefer.
http://perlweekly.com/archive/125.html

Hi,

I don't know about your part of the world, but we just had a major storm
that even covered the 'near-by' pyramids in snow. Part of the country is
still without electricity after 4 days, but we were lucky as we did not
have any power-failure and the sun came back too.

Anyhow, the Perlish Advent calendars supply many articles for you to read,
but other people have not stopped to write either. You have plenty to read.

Enjoy!

Sponsors

  We're Hiring Perl Software Developers - Grant Street Group
  http://bit.ly/14ZjcSG

  We're a growing software company using open source software/modern Perl
  practices to build innovative e-payment, auction, and tax collection web
  applications.<br>We're looking for talented, motivated professionals
  committed to flawless work and customer service.<br>Please apply online
  ("http://bit.ly/19sbfam").
  --------------

=============

Advent Calendars
Plenty of articles have been published on the 4 active Perl-related Advent
  calendars. This is just a reminder that there is plenty to read on these
  sites.

  Perl
  http://bit.ly/19ylFAM

  --------------

  Perl 6
  http://bit.ly/IZ8y5v

  --------------

  Catalyst
  http://bit.ly/19sbhPr

  --------------

  Future
  http://bit.ly/IZ8Adr

  --------------

=============

Articles

  More WordPress grepping
  http://bit.ly/19sbfau

  This is the second post by brian d foy about WordPress::Grep, his new
  module and command line tool.
  --------------

  Why I Don't Like Perl State Variables
  http://bit.ly/IZ8Adv

  Have you ever used the 'state' keyword in Perl? It is 'new' since 5.10 and
  it works like a 'static' variable in C. But do you really need it? Timm
  Murray from Wumpus Cave does not seem to like it.
  --------------

=============

Selfie

  Perl and Me, Part 2: The Power of OOP
  http://bit.ly/19sbhPB

  As you could guess from the title, this is already the 2nd part of the
  series Buddy Burden writes bare feet on his road in the programming
  world. A very interesting conversation with ones own self.
  --------------

=============

Testing

  CPAN Testers Summary - November 2013 - Fire Dances
  http://bit.ly/IZ8Adx

  The regular monthly report from Barbie.
  --------------

  Single process versus parallel tests
  http://bit.ly/IZ8ylQ

  Ovid discusses the advantages of running tests in parallel - which are
  quite obvious (you get home earlier) - or maybe it isn't? He also
  describes his work on Test::Class, and Test::Class::Moose to make
  parallel processing a possibility there too.
  --------------

=============

CPAN

  The correct Makefile.PL incantation
  http://bit.ly/IZ8Ady

  How to do you handle installation of CPAN modules on production servers if
  you don't have direct access to the Internet? (I'd be more worried if
  someone has access to the Internet and installs the latest from CPAN.)
  --------------

=============

Applications and Frameworks

  OpenBedrock Moves to GitHub
  http://bit.ly/19sbfqN

  Bedrock is a server side web application development environment that can
  be used with Apache web servers.
  --------------

  Convos: Chatting in the cloud with Mojolicious
  http://bit.ly/19sbfqP

  Convos is a web-based persistent IRC client. It will hold on to your IRC
  connections while you are away, but let's you use a web-based interface
  to chat in IRC.
  --------------

  New Dancer 2 release: 0.11
  http://bit.ly/19sbfqQ

  --------------

=============

Grants

  Maintaining the Perl 5 Core: Report for Month 1
  http://bit.ly/IZ8ylU

  --------------

=============

Videos

  Build a start up!
  http://bit.ly/IZ8AdG

  Watch the first 2:20 minutes of the lightning talks from YAPC::NA in which
  JT Smith calls on you to build something. Build if for your own sake and
  for the sake of Perl.
  --------------

=============

Weekly collections

  MetaCPAN weekly report - Mojolicious
  http://bit.ly/19sbfr0

  --------------

  StackOverflow Perl report
  http://bit.ly/19sbimz

  --------------

  Perl 6 changes - 2013W50
  http://bit.ly/IZ8ylY

  --------------

=============

Perl Maven Tutorials

  Contributing to a Perl module on CPAN (using vim and Github)
  http://bit.ly/IZ8ym5

  This is an earlier screencast that can still be useful for you, it you are
  thinking about contributing to open source. As one of the readers pointed
  out: 'Your video was really eye opening. It showed me that I do not need
  to start very big as I was thinking, small contributions like that can
  really lead to big ones.'
  --------------

  Eliminate circular reference memory-leak using weaken
  http://bit.ly/IZ8ym6

  Because of the flexibility of Perl it is very easy to create circular
  references which, if not handled correctly, can easily cause memory leak.
  Here is how you can measure memory usage and how you can avoid circular
  references.
  --------------

  Perl split - to cut up a string into pieces
  http://bit.ly/19sbfHo

  Example on how to use split assigning the result to an array or to a list
  of scalars. There is also an example using array slices to split on the
  fly without creating a temporary variable.
  --------------

=============

Events
I usually list the next 3-4 events here. The list of all the events can be
  found on the web site (http://perlweekly.com/events.html). If your Perl
  event is not listed there, please let me know.

  German Perl Workshop (GPW 2014)
  http://bit.ly/10WS00y

  March 26-28, 2014, Hannover, Germany
  --------------

  YAPC::NA 2014
  http://bit.ly/H6ndeD

  June 23-25, 2014, Orlando FL
  --------------

=============

You joined the Perl Weekly to get weekly e-mails about the Perl programming language and related topics.

Want to see more? See the archives ( http://perlweekly.com/archive/ ) of all the issues.

Reading this as a non-subscriber? Join us free of charge. http://perlweekly.com/

(C) Copyright Gabor Szabo http://szabgab.com/
The articles are copyright the respective authors.

You can freely redistribute this message if
you keep the whole message intact, including
the Copyright notice and this text.

If you don't want to receive mails any more
you can unsubscribe here: http://perlweekly.com/unsubscribe.html