Hello All!

MCSI metatron at metatronics.com
Tue Jul 6 11:23:34 CDT 1999

Hello All!
	Sorry for taking so long to get back to you all... Im going to a trade
show in 6 days, and Im not anywhere near ready.
	Anyways, We had talked about a few projects we'd all like to work on.
Today I'm going to build a faq server.  Im going to include a few simple AI
elements ito it. I'll put my outline at the bottom of this message. I'd
love any form of input, I'll put up the code later, if anyone's interested.
	One thing that might be fun and interesting to do is make a perl specific
faq server.  That would definitely help the community, and ourselves.
	Another thing mentioned was some sort of forum.
at www.perl.org the following list of projects needing help are:
<snip>

     Help The Perl Institute.
     We're always looking for volunteers. Join the tpi-advisory mailing
list, and we'll let you know when projects are started or need manpower.
Current projects
     needing volunteers:

          The Canonical Perl Program
               Perl experts can program a lot better than they can write
about those programs, so put to death once and for all the
"Perl-is-unreadable"
               myth with the Canonical Perl program. It should use one
module. One match. One substitution. One subroutine. One split. One join. One
               reference. $#foo, @ARGV, $_. It should be one page of code,
but be four pages long, because it describes everything it's doing in
               excruciating detail.

               For instance, use LWP::Simple to fetch a web page, search it
for occurrences of a bunch of command-line terms, and save those
               <P>aragraphs to a file.

          The Perl Help Desk
               comp.lang.perl.misc is not a help desk; newsgroups make
lousy help desks. perl5-porters is not a help desk; mailing lists make
lousy help
               desks. We need a web site (with a mailling list option) that
lets novices post questions. Experts can answer the questions, and by so doing
               pop the question off the list. All question/answer pairs are
saved for subsequent searches. We have a project leader, but may need
               assistants.

          The Perl Survey
               The usage survey on perl.org is interesting, but not very
useful. There's a lot of information about Perl programmers, for instance the
               industry sector they work in, how long they've been
programming, and which modules they use, that would be much more useful to
have
               when advocating Perl to the great unwashed, and when
evaluating the Perl community's own work. We'd like someone to work out what
               information to gather, how to gather it, and then actually
conduct the survey. We have a project leader, but need your input on the
               advocacy mailing list.

</snip>

Also, In EFNET #perl you will find cameo appearances of your favorite web
guru from time to time. I use the server:
EFnet: US, TX, Houston
irc.phoenix.net
6667
efnet

Also, More info on who to contact if you wish to help perl can be found at
http://www.perl.org/pumpkins.html

Anyway, let's get some use out of this mailing list, let me know what you
all think!

Ken
http://knoxville.pm.org/