[Kc] Sigils

Kit Peters popefelix at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 10:23:43 PST 2015

So I posted this on my facecrack, but I thought I'd post it here too to get
y'all's thoughts.

I'm not sure how I feel about sigils in perl. On the one hand, it's nice to
see that a given variable is a scalar, hash, or array. On the other hand,
most of the time I'm passing around scalars anyhow, and scalars can be
anything, so I lose that nice way of identifying the type of the variable
without resorting to (ugh) Hungarian notation (no offense to actual
Hungarians meant). Plus you can have two variables with the same name but
different sigils, which can be really confusing. Maybe the languages
without sigils have the right idea. I don't know.

--
Kit Peters, W0KEH
GPG public key fingerpint: 1A12 04B6 0C80 306A B292  14FD 2C7A 1037 F666