[Kc] PHP guys?

Sterling Hanenkamp sterling at hanenkamp.com
Sun May 12 18:45:19 PDT 2013

On May 12, 2013 11:58 AM, "David Nicol" <davidnicol at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 3:23 AM, Stephen Clouse <stephenclouse at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> http://me.veekun.com/blog/2012/04/09/php-a-fractal-of-bad-design/
>

> That is an excellent rant. PHP appears to have been optimized for
bureaucratic embedding. The "PHP guy" sets something up that sort of works,
and then remains there extending it for years and years. So is there an
alternative to simply ignoring the many job postings looking for
PHP-competent hackers? Offer to rewrite the PHP stuff in something else? By
tomorrow? Not practical.

That blog is by a (former) Perl hacker, also known as eevee, who used to
work for a company with which I am quite familiar (hint, hint). I believe
he primarily writes Python for Yelp these days. He's very sharp, despite
his Pokemon obsession.

I general don't like to get into language flame wars, but I will say that I
quit taking jobs on the side doing PHP. I just don't enjoy working with it
for many of the reasons eevee lays out on his blog.