[Kc] Threads/fork/Event-based programming oh my (anyevent/coro)

djgoku at gmail.com djgoku at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 20:37:59 PDT 2012

On Nov 1, 2012, at 11:13 PM, Peter Karman <peter at peknet.com> wrote:

> djgoku at gmail.com wrote on 11/1/12 10:50 PM:
>> I haven't started writing code yet, but wanted input on where to start.
>>
>> What I want to do is read in an input file, splice the input into
>> configurable amount of chunks. Create a number of workers also configurable
>> that go off and do work returning results or maybe even saving results to a
>> database. After finishing wait for more work until all work is done and the
>> last worker is finished and exit.
>>

> lots of ways to approach this, depending on how you want to define "worker."
>
> Gearman (and its ilk) is one way.

Reading: http://www.slideshare.net/andy.sh/gearman-and-perl

Gearman setup sounds interesting, but is really overkill for what I want.

> For less-heavy infrastructure, I like Parallel::Iterator.

I have a threads/thread::queue hack "working". But I want most of the code to be reusable so I am not copying and pasting code around.

Really the only think that will ever change is a worker() function most of the other stuff will be static.

Jonathan Otsuka