[Kc] Fwd: Perl 5.11.3 now available

David Nicol davidnicol at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 12:26:06 PST 2009

fyi.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jesse Vincent <jesse at fsck.com>
Date: Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 10:51 PM
Subject: Perl 5.11.3 now available
To: perl5-porters at perl.org

 "Say -- I'm going in a swimming, I am. Don't you wish you could? But of
 course you'd druther work—wouldn't you? Course you would!"

 Tom contemplated the boy a bit, and said: "What do you call work?"

 "Why ain't that work?"

 Tom resumed his whitewashing, and answered carelessly: "Well, maybe it
 is, and maybe it aint. All I know, is, it suits Tom Sawyer."

 "Oh come, now, you don't mean to let on that you like it?"

 The brush continued to move. "Like it? Well I don't see why I oughtn't
 to like it. Does a boy get a chance to whitewash a fence every day?"

 That put the thing in a new light. Ben stopped nibbling his apple. Tom
 swept his brush daintily back and forth—stepped back to note the effect
 -- added a touch here and there-criticised the effect again -- Ben
 watching every move and getting more and more interested, more and more
 absorbed. Presently he said: "Say, Tom, let me whitewash a little."

                   -- Mark Twain, /The Adventures of Tom Sawyer/

It gives me great pleasure to announce the release of Perl 5.11.3.

This is the fourth DEVELOPMENT release in the 5.11.x series leading to a
stable release of Perl 5.12.0. You can find a list of high-profile changes
in this release in the file "perl5113delta.pod" inside the distribution.

Perl 5.11.3 is, hopefully, the last release of Perl 5.11.x before
code freeze for Perl 5.12.0. At that point, we will only make changes
which fix regressions from previous released versions of Perl or which
resolve issues we believe would make a stable release of Perl 5.12.0
inadvisable.

You can (or will shortly be able to) download the 5.11.3 release from:

   http://search.cpan.org/~jesse/perl-5.11.3/<http://search.cpan.org/%7Ejesse/perl-5.11.3/>

The release's SHA1 signatures are:

MD5:  0051020f8ae2a89c9d624e01ed56b02c          perl-5.11.3.tar.bz2
SHA1: 7fe87005437002f0b515d983429d0bfba36398ac  perl-5.11.3.tar.bz2

[IMPORTANT: Due to an entirely preventable error on my part, a
 corrupted, truncated perl-5.11.3.tar.gz entered the PAUSE.  Until
 its deletion propagates through CPAN, please be sure you're getting
 perl-5.11.3.tar.bz2, not perl-5.11.3.tar.gz. Sorry about that!]

This release corresponds to commit 9c3f2640bc in Perl's git repository.
It is tagged as 'v5.11.3'.

We welcome your feedback on this release. If you discover issues
with Perl 5.11.3, please use the 'perlbug' tool included in this
distribution to report them. If Perl 5.11.3 works well for you, please
use the 'perlthanks' tool included with this distribution to tell the
all-volunteer development team how much you appreciate their work.

If you write software in Perl, it is particularly important that you test
your software against development releases. While we strive to maintain
source compatibility with prior stable versions of Perl wherever possible,
it is always possible that a well-intentioned change can have unexpected
consequences. If you spot a change in a development version which breaks
your code, it's much more likely that we will be able to fix it before the
next stable release. If you only test your code against stable releases
of Perl, it may not be possible to undo a backwards-incompatible change
which breaks your code.

Perl 5.11.3 represents approximately one month of development since
Perl 5.11.2 and contains 61407 lines of changes across 396 files
from 40 authors and committers:

Abigail, Alex Davies, Alexandr Ciornii, Andrew Rodland, Andy
Dougherty, Bram, brian d foy, Chip Salzenberg, Chris Williams, Craig
A. Berry, Daniel Frederick Crisman, David Golden, Dennis Kaarsemaker,
Eric Brine, Father Chrysostomos, Gene Sullivan, Gerard Goossen, H.
Merijn Brand, Hugo van der Sanden, Jan Dubois, Jerry D. Hedden,
Jesse Vincent, Jim Cromie, Karl Williamson, Leon Brocard, Max
Maischein, Michael Breen, Moritz Lenz, Nicholas Clark, Rafael
Garcia-Suarez, Reini Urban, Ricardo Signes, Stepan Kasal, Steve
Hay, Steve Peters, Tim Bunce, Tony Cook, Vincent Pit and Zefram.

Many of the changes included in this version originated in the CPAN
modules included in Perl's core. We're grateful to the entire CPAN
community for helping Perl to flourish.

Notable changes in this release:

* Perl is shipped with Unicode version 5.2, itself released in  October
 2009.

* Perl can now handle every Unicode character property.

* The experimental 'legacy' pragma, introduced with Perl 5.11.2 has been
 removed. Its functionality has been replaced with the 'feature' pragma.

* Numerous CPAN "toolchain" modules have been updated to what we hope
 are the final release versions for Perl 5.12.0.

* Many crashing bugs or regressions from earlier releases of Perl were fixed
 for this release.

Development versions of Perl are released monthly on or about the 20th
of the month by a monthly "release manager". You can expect following
upcoming releases:

 January 20     -    Ricardo Signes
 February 20    -    Steve Hay
 March 20       -    Ask Bjørn Hansen

Best,

Jesse Vincent

--
Is it the time when there isn't time to discuss but there is time to act
yet?