[Kc] editors and IDEs (was: May Meeting)

Sterling Hanenkamp sterling at hanenkamp.com
Wed May 7 12:35:04 PDT 2008

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 12:29 PM, Andrew Moore <amoore at mooresystems.com>
wrote:

> not to start an editor war, but I've found that emacs makes a good
> enough development environment for me. I suspect that's the same
> experience that the (g)vi(m) crowd has had. The editors seem to be
> "good enough" and making them better seems to be "real hard", so we're
> stuck here for a while.

I guess I don't understand what's limited about either vim or emacs. Both
are extremely mature and reliable and have extensive plugin systems. If you
want a feature in either, it's likely there's been a plugin written to do
that or close to it. For example, I know of several plugins that may be
added to vim to make it a better editor of Perl (I use a few). The same is
true in Emacs. For example, I watched a screencast by jrockway recently for
a new REPL tool he wrote for Emacs.