[Kc] editors and IDEs (was: May Meeting)

David Nicol davidnicol at gmail.com
Wed May 7 11:31:34 PDT 2008

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 5:29 PM, Andrew Moore <amoore at mooresystems.com> wrote:

>  not to start an editor war, but I've found that emacs makes a good
>  enough development environment for me. I suspect that's the same
>  experience that the (g)vi(m) crowd has had. The editors seem to be
>  "good enough" and making them better seems to be "real hard", so we're
>  stuck here for a while.
>
>  -Andy

As I have said before and will presumably say again, new features are added to
free open-source projects when (1) the need for the feature felt strongly enough
by (2) a person able to add the feature (3) who would rather add the
feature than
devise and use a workaround.

All three pieces need to be in place.  The lack of an 'ignore' primitive in svn
is in my opinion the perfect example of a feature that has never been added
because anyone capable of adding the feature is also capable of composing
and using a little tool to tell svn to ignore a named file, with the additional
concern that anyone heavily using a version control system is using it
to facilitate
an actual project which they want to make progress on rather than
adding features
to placate mildly disgruntled newbies.

Luke Dashjr composed this last year and I had it in my .sig for a while:
svnignore() { EDITOR="perl -le'print for at ARGV' $@>>" svn pe svn:ignore .;}