[Kc] May Meeting

Sterling Hanenkamp sterling at hanenkamp.com
Wed May 7 07:00:03 PDT 2008

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 7:59 AM, James Carman <developer at peelle.org> wrote:

> Hey All,
>
> I would like to know how to speed up project development time. Anyone have
> some good rapid development tips specific to Perl?

Probably depends on the project.

> Things like IDE's, Frameworks, MVC's all sound nice, but it seems like I
> have to learn them to know if they are worth using. I would rather pick your
> brains. :-D

I don't find that IDEs actually speed anything up for me. I'm pretty
efficient with the non-IDE I have setup over the years that combines my own
custom shell scripts, aliases, Andy Lester's ack, and familiarity with vim.
There are certain aspects of IDEs that I have found useful in the past, but
I've generally felt like I was restricted in the process and spent more time
trying to fit my workflow into the IDE than gaining advantages from it.

The only IDE I've tried that came close was Komodo from ActiveState, but
even that only lasted a couple weeks of trial before I went back to my
existing setup.

The framework or MVC you want also depends upon your preferences and what
you're trying to achieve. For web projects, Catalyst is kind of the do-all,
be-all framework since you can plug just about anything into it without a
lot of effort. There are other frameworks in the same space that are useful
for different kinds of web apps, too. Jifty is great if you want a
full-stack framework with a lot of Ajax out of the box, for example.
However, if you aren't writing a web project, these frameworks are probably
not going to help you.

Cheers.