[Kc] RegExes

Emmanuel Mejias emmanuel.mejias at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 18:29:35 PDT 2008

hey guys, I'm trying to match two patterns, say */var/log/ *from
/etc/syslog.conf, using regexes? but I don't want to match every line with
log (Logging, log)  which is what I'm getting. I tried just matching /var/,
but I was trying for two patterns. what would be the correct way?

code:

#!/usr/bin/perl -w

@input = `cat /etc/syslog.conf`;

foreach $line (@input) {
  if ($line =~ */[varlog]/*){
     print $line;
  }
}

I want my output to look something like this....

*.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none                /var/log/messages
authpriv.*                                              /var/log/secure
mail.*                                                  -/var/log/maillog
cron.*                                                  /var/log/cron
uucp,news.crit                                          /var/log/spooler
local7.*                                                /var/log/boot.log

not like this....

# Log all kernel messages to the console.
# Logging much else clutters up the screen.
#kern.*                                                 /dev/console
# Log anything (except mail) of level info or higher.
# Don't log private authentication messages!
*.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none                /var/log/messages
# The authpriv file has restricted access.
authpriv.*                                              /var/log/secure
# Log all the mail messages in one place.
mail.*                                                  -/var/log/maillog
# Log cron stuff
cron.*                                                  /var/log/cron
# Everybody gets emergency messages
*.emerg                                                 *
# Save news errors of level crit and higher in a special file.
uucp,news.crit                                          /var/log/spooler
# Save boot messages also to boot.log
local7.*                                                /var/log/boot.log