[Kc] Seen this?

Andrew Moore amoore at mooresystems.com
Mon Aug 25 18:53:47 PDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 8:40 PM, Andy Lester <andy at petdance.com> wrote:

> On Aug 25, 2008, at 7:53 PM, Kit Peters wrote:
>
>> http://blog.vipul.net/2008/08/24/redhat-perl-what-a-tragedy/
>>
>> If you're running Perl from an RPM or an SRPM, run that test.  If it's
>> slower than shit, pull down 5.10 and compile.
>

> Or wait a few days (at most, I suspect) when a new package gets out there.
>
> The problem is not all Perl.  It's when dealing with overloading.

I'm not sure I understand, Andy. It sounds like it's been a problem
with the way that a few linux distributions distribute perl. And, it
sounds like it's been that way for a while. That sounds like a "perl
problem" to me. This is not a problem with overloading in C++ or
Python or any other language here. What do you mean that "The problem
is not at all Perl"? Perhaps it's compiled or used or packaged or
distributed poorly, but that sounds like "our" problem, where "our" is
we perl folk.

Yeah, it's a drag that one of our favorite tools is hard to use or
distribute well. That's an area ripe for improvement.

And, there's a good test to let users know when they should rebuild
perl or ask for it to be fixed by their vendors. That's a good thing.

I hope there is a fix in a few days, too. But that fix might be
something that the redistributors have to do.

-Andy