[Kc] File Stats

Scott Kahler scottk at uclick.com
Wed Sep 19 07:00:01 PDT 2007

On 9/19/07 2:56 AM, "djgoku" <djgoku at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/18/07, Andrew Moore <amoore at mooresystems.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 04:31:39PM -0500, djgoku wrote:
>>> What is the best way to keep track that a certain file is the same one
>>> that has been previously looked/opened at.
>>
>> I'd think that one of the File::* modules would be able to generate a
>> list of unique files in a directory. Have you looked at (off the top
>> of my head) File::Find or File::Next and their ilk?
>
> I just use the information from stat(). I am currently using the size,
> mtime, ctime.
>
> Hopefully this answers both your question, and JohnR's. I have looked
> around File::* but haven't found anything to suit my needs.
>
> Jonathan

If excel is updating some sort of meta data within the file, which changes
the MD5 of it every time it is viewed. I can't think of any modules you
could use externally to do what you want to do.

Maybe you can dump that row/column data of the table and generate a MD5 sum
off of that to see if any of the internal data points have actually changed.

--
Scott Kahler
Systems Engineer
scottk at uclick.com