[Kc] Where did your perl come from?

Frank Wiles frank at wiles.org
Sat Oct 6 09:12:51 PDT 2007

On Sat, 6 Oct 2007 11:01:23 -0500
"Emmanuel Mejias" <emmanuel.mejias at gmail.com> wrote:

> wow! i need to get with you guys and start picking your brains! i
> like the functionality of perl and all the cool stuff you can do with
> it, but it looks like i'm just barely scratching the surface learning
> it! i'm a sysadmin and although, most seem to either script in bash
> or korn, i thought i'd get crazy and learn some perl.

  Personally I think the days of wanting to or needing to do
  bash/korn/etc shell scripting are over.  Many people disagree with
  me on this...

  But I look at it as a standardization.  If bash/korn can't easily
  do everything you want to do, then you should be using
  perl/python/etc. and use it everywhere.

  Obviously, I don't mean go and rewrite all of your distro's
  default init scripts.  But if you needed to write your own or
  heavily modify an existing one, just convert it to Perl.

  Then your sysadmins only *really* have to understand Perl and
  be able to read a bit of shell.

  Not to mention I see it as a huge waste of your valuable time
  to dig into a shell scripting language you know is of limited
  use, simply because "that's how it's always been done".  :)

  If nothing else, the availability of CPAN modules should put
  to rest any arguments of the merits of Perl as a "scripting"
  language.