[Kc] Perl Mongers meeting tonight 7pm

Andrew Moore amoore at mooresystems.com
Wed Jun 13 07:47:00 PDT 2007

We had a pretty good turnout last night. David, Jonathan, Tim, Derek,
Stephen, and myself hung out and actually chatted about perl for a
while.

Some items that came up were:

* David Nicol showed us his work on Macrame.pm. It's a source filter
  (not a pragma!) that allows one to define macros that will be
  expanded to chunks of perl code. Once again, he managed to really
  stretch our abilities to understand more advanced perl.

* Straw poll results: almost everyone agrees that it's (still) nice to
  have local job postings on the list as well as at
  jobs.perl.org. I'll make a web page that encourages recruiters and
  potential employers to post to jobs.perl.org and tells them how they
  can contact one of us to forward the posting on to the list if it's
  appropriate. Doug Ledbetter has tentatively agreed to volunteer for
  this spot. I think it's a position we should pass around
  occasionally, much as we should the "moderator" spot.

* I mentioned the "perl program repair shop" that Chicago-pm was doing
  last night
  <http://rakudo.org/chicago-pm/index.cgi?perl_program_repair_shop>,
  which seems to have worked well for them. Some people expressed
  interest in this kind of "interactive code review and
  refactoring". I'll try to get a separate mail out to the list about
  this soon.

* motorcycles, ham radios, and all kinds of other stuff.

Great turn out last night; a good time was had by all. I'll see you
guys again on July 10th!

-Andy