[Kc] perl on unix box is frustrating

C.J. Scheppers cscheppers at kc.rr.com
Fri Jun 2 14:23:19 PDT 2006

Hi,

I'm writing perl for someone whose site is on a unix box.  I spend an
enormous amount of time just trying to debug some simple thing.  I
must delete sections of code until the script runs, then add the code
back a line at a time to see what's going wrong.  Unix doesn't seem
to give any more hint as to what's wrong than The server encountered
an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your
request.

Now the really frustrating part is that I cannot add the following
line which is also commented out:

#@file = <READ>;

so I have to delete the line a letter at a time until this allows the
script to at least run:

#fi

This will not run:

#fil

I save the script as text only, ftp it to the site as text and set
the permissions to run.  The script runs with the #fi line but not
the #fil line.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

C.J.