[Kc] Reminder: Meeting tonight 7pm at Planet Sub

C. Garrett Goebel ggoebel at goebel.ws
Wed Jul 12 09:32:12 PDT 2006

> I think that having two meetings per month would mean that we would
> get about half as many people in each meeting. I personally am not too
> keen on going to biweekly meetings, so I'd just go to every other
> one. I'd hate to get essentially two groups: kcmo.pm.org and
> kcsouthland.pm.org. That's a bad scenerio.

You're probably right... We're already getting as many kcmo people as
we're going to get.

> I would attend monthly meetings if we alternated between KCMO and
> suburbia each month or even just moved them to Overland Park for a
> while. I don't mind driving out to JCCC or wherever for
> meetings. Maybe it's time we Missourians pay our dues like the
> SprintLand folks have been doing for ~5 years.
>
> What about someplace like Barley's Brewhouse at about 119 and Quivera?
> Free WiFi, beer on tap, tolerable barfood, and surely wouldn't mind if
> we scooted a few tables together?

Sounds fine to me. Good location for people driving in from the west or
south. Do they have any private rooms? And if so, does it cost anything to
reserve them?

> > If there's no standing agenda to the meetings. Then I think people might
> > be more likely to make it a regular thing.
>
> I'll try to be more diligent about indicating anticipated discussion
> topics. I recall that when you encouraged book reviews, weekly
> puzzles, and stuff like that the attendance was higher and the
> discussion stayed more centered around perl.

It was also a not insignificant effort. And when I failed to come through,
I think it reflected badly on the group. I.e., we lost people. I either
wasn't very good at delegating... or organizing/motivating people to whom
I could delegate. I would certainly be interested in helping to shoulder
the burden of organizing stuff.

The other hard part is once you start organizing a thing or three, you
need to make sure you're hitting the things that are both widely focused
enough to be generally interesting, but grant room for narrow focused
topics to be pursued in depth. That way you cover beginner to advanced and
Perl dilitants(sp?) to those who use Perl to pound square pegs into round
holes on a daily basis.

> PS - I will not drive to Lima for meetings!

Halfway?

cheers,

Garrett