[Kc] pc perl droplet

Eric Wilhelm scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 17:19:37 PST 2006

# from Frank Wiles
# on Monday 11 December 2006 02:15 pm:

>   You've going to want to look into PAR on CPAN.  It helps you
>   package up an application for distribution in a number of ways.
>
>   However, I think you need to have Perl itself installed on the
>   system.  But again, you can abstract that way with your own
>   installer.

You can also use 'pp' (PAR::Packager iirc) to create a standalone
executable which contains perl and any dll dependencies.  We've been
doing this with dotReader (http://dotreader.com) and having no troubles
despite the fact that we're bundling all of the wx libs.  It is,
however a bit large and slow -- about 15s the first time out and maybe
5 after that, but this is due to the size of the zip file (pp just
makes a zip exe.)  We want to be able to distribute it without an
installer, so we'll probably dig into breaking parts into separate,
smaller par files.  In your case, just installing perl somewhere might
be easier/faster.

--Eric
--
Moving pianos is dangerous.