[Kc] Scalar + Shift?

Garrett Goebel ggoebel at goebel.ws
Thu Aug 3 11:43:56 PDT 2006

On Aug 3, 2006, at 9:59 AM, djgoku wrote:

> That mistake doesn't make me feel so good about what I have learned so
> far in Perl, since I am just finishing up Learning Perl 4th edition.

Don't sweat it.

You've probably heard the story about interview with the extremely
successful person. It went something like this:

Q: How did you become so successful?
A: Experience.

Q: How did you gain experience?
A: Good decisions.

Q: And how did you learn to make those good decisions?
A: Bad decisions.

...And congratulations on finishing Learning Perl!

If you are one of those people who enjoys the journey more than
actually reaching the final destination... then with Perl you're
practically guaranteed a long strange trip ;)

Oh, if you're intending to start next on the "Learning Perl Objects,
References, and Modules"  book I gave you way back when... you might
consider picking up a copy of "Intermediate Perl" instead. It is what
the new edition of the aforementioned book turned into. And it's only
256 pages. Or actually... being a Perl Mongers groups, I could
contact O'Reilly on your behalf and have them send you a copy for
review. The catch is, you'd have to write up a book review. If you're
interested, email me your postal address. The books generally take a
few weeks to arrive.

Some time shortly after Learning Perl and Intermediate Perl, it would
be good to pick up a copy of Perl Best Practices (PBP). Better to get
into good habits early on. I'm still working little by little to
rehabit myself to the practices espoused in  PBP. It's much harder
once you're firmly entrenched in your bad habits ;)

cheers,

Garrett